With Captain America: The First Avenger arriving in theaters in a few days, I spent most of last weekend interviewing the cast and filmmakers. As I said in the intro to my Chris Evans and screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely interviews, I absolutely loved this movie and think everyone involved did an amazing job bringing Captain America to life. Trust me, if you were nervous about Chris Evans as Cap, or that Marvel couldn’t make a period piece, you’re going to be blown away this weekend. Also, while I thought the love story in Thor was nonexistent, the relationship between Evans and Hayley Atwell (she plays Peggy Carter) felt real and believable. It was actually one of the best parts of the movie.
Anyhow, a few days ago I got to sit down with Atwell. We discussed the intense internet casting reports before production began, the immensity of the film and how everyone was trying to get photos from set, the romance between her character and Captain America, deleted scenes, the costumes, doing stunts in high heels, how she prepared for the film, and potential sequels. Hit the jump to watch.
Finally, if you’ve read any Captain America comics, this interview is safe to watch. But if you don’t know the story of Captain America, or you’re trying to stay spoiler free, I strongly advise waiting to watch this interview until you’ve seen the movie.
Hayley Atwell Time Index
- :28 Was she aware of the intense internet casting reports that were around documenting who was reading for what part?
- 1:09 She talks about the immensity of the film and how everyone was trying to get photos of things on set and the lengths to which they went to protect the secrecy of it.
- 2:33 Talks about the romance between her character and Captain America and how well it works.
- 4:02 In modern day, her character is 88 years old. Has she done costume for make-up tests to appear as an older version of her character?
- 4:36 She says she hasn’t been privy to The Avengers or the Captain America sequel discussions so she doesn’t know if or how much her character may appear.
- 5:36 Talks about how she’d love to have her character appear in period flashbacks in a follow-up, because there’s so much more to do. Talks about how she likes the stunts.
- 6:19 Deleted scenes. She talks about a specific scene that was cut that she liked.
- 7:26 The costumes. She says originally the costumes were going to be kind of futuristic or sci-fi, then they went the opposite direction and decided to make them incredibly real and practical. Talks about the difficulty of wearing one specific dress.
- 8:57 Talks about doing stunts in high heels.
- 9:28 When preparing does she go to the comic books or trust that the script has everything she needs? She says she went to the comic books to make sure she got the tone of it right. Also talks about changing things onset and playing off Joe Johnston’s suggestions.