[This is a re-post of our Hearts Beat Loud interview with Nick Offerman, Kiersey Clemons, and Brett Haley from the 2018 Sundance Film Festival. The movie is now playing in limited release.]
One of the many films to world premiere at this year’s Sundance Film Festival was writer-director Brett Haley’s Hearts Beat Loud. The film stars Nick Offerman and Kiersey Clemons as a father and daughter in Brooklyn who form an unlikely band during her last summer at home before leaving for UCLA. On top of trying to create music together, each is dealing with major life decisions that are not easy to make. Hearts Beat Loud also stars Ted Danson, Toni Collette, Sasha Lane, and Blythe Danner.
Shortly after seeing the film, I got to sit down with Nick Offerman, Kiersey Clemons and Brett Haley for an exclusive video interview. During the wide-ranging conversation they talked about being at Sundance, who they play and what the film is about, how the film talks about the choices you make and how that can impact your entire life, what drew them to the script, how they got Ted Danson to play a bartender again, and so much more. In addition, at Saturday night’s closing night party at Sundance, Nick Offerman and Kiersey Clemons will be performing some of the music from the film. They talk about how that came about.
Check out what they had to say in the player above and below is exactly what we talked about.
Finally, a huge thank you to everyone at Kia and The Future Party for helping to make these interviews happen at the Kia Supper Suite and offering up transportation in the all new Kia Stinger high performance Sportback for our guests. I’d also like to thank Altec Lansing, Kunde Wines, Blue Moon Brewing, and Topo Chico for their support.
Nick Offerman, Kiersey Clemons and Brett Haley:
- When did they find out they would be in Sundance?
- They talk about what the film is about and who they each play.
- How the film talks about the choices you make and how that can impact your entire life.
- What drew them to the script? Kiersey Clemons talks about she was excited to represent queer women of color with Sasha Lane.
- How did they get Ted Danson to play a bartender again?
- How did the music come together for the film and how did Sundance get Nick and Kiersey to perform at the closing night party?
- When did Kiersey Clemons realize she could sing?
- How the film wouldn’t work without the chemistry between Nick Offerman and Kiersey Clemons.
- How many takes were ruined due to Nick Offerman cracking jokes?