Currently playing in limited release is writer-director Julie Taymor’s The Tempest. However, with her film opening in more theaters this weekend, it’s time to post my video interview with the star of the movie, Helen Mirren. Adapted from William Shakespeare, Taymor has added a twist to The Tempest by switching the gender of the sorcerer Prospero into the sorceress Prospera (Mirren). In addition, Taymor has brought along an all-star cast featuring Russell Brand, Alfred Molina, Djimon Hounsou, David Strathairn, Chris Cooper, Alan Cumming, Ben Whishaw, Reeve Carney, Felicity Jones, and Tom Conti.
During my interview with Mirren, we talked about the worldwide success Red, was she nervous to tackle The Tempest, where did the idea to switch around the gender come from, filming in Hawaii, and I asked her how she felt knowing her movie would be seen in High Schools for the next 50 years. Hit the jump to watch what she had to say:
- Was she surprised by the success of Red
- Was she nervous to take on the role in The Tempest or did she jump right in
- Where did the idea to switch around the material come from
- How does she fell knowing The Tempest will be seen in High Schools for the next 50 years
- What was it like to film on location in Hawaii with the costumes
- I try and get in another question…watch what happens