With James Mangold’s The Wolverine opening on July 26th, I was recently able to interview the cast in New York City. Starring Hugh Jackman in the title role, The Wolverine tracks Logan as he reunites with faces from his past while grappling with his immortality. Featuring a fantastic international cast, The Wolverine also stars Will Yun Lee, Hiroyuki Sanada, Brian Tee, Rila Fukushima, Svetlana Khodchenkova and Tao Okamoto. For more on the film, watch these clips or check out all our previous coverage.
During my extended video interview with Jackman, he talked about the positive reaction to the film, how they didn’t know what the film would be rated while they made it, how it doesn’t feel like a comic book movie, what he did as a producer, how long he wants to play Wolverine, his desire to team up with The Avengers and Spider-Man in a future movie, director Denis Villeneuve’s Prisoners, how he’s developing a new Broadway musical with Steven Schwartz about Houdini, and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch.
- I talk about how I didn’t like the last Wolverine movie but the new one is great. What’s been his reaction talking to people about the new film and the challenge of the new film
- Talks about how when they were filming they didn’t know what it would be rated
- How it isn’t a comic book movie until the 3rd act
- What did he have to do as a producer on the film. Talks about finding the right director and filming in Australia
- 4:00 – How long does he think he’ll want to play Wolverine
- 4:56 – What can we do to get Wolverine into an Avengers movie with Spider-Man and the other Marvel characters. Talks about how he wants this to happen and thinks the studios should team up and split the costs
- 6:20 – Talks about his upcoming work in Prisoners
- 7:15 – What is he looking to do after he wraps on Days of Future Past. Talks about wanting to do another Broadway musical which will be an all new musical that he’s developing with Stephen Schwartz about Houdini