21 Jump Street is going to surprise you. Not only is it one of the funniest movies I’ve seen in a long time, it’s got some great action and awesome performances from all involved. If you had told me that the pairing of Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum would be comedy gold, I would have never believed you. But they are. Also, another big surprise was Ice Cube. I’ve seen the film twice and both times he brings the house down with his almost everything he says. Trust me, you want to see 21 Jump Street and I’d advise seeing it with a crowded theater. It’s a blast. For more on the film, here’s Matt’s glowing review, Brendan’s set visit, a five-minute red band clip, and all our coverage on directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller‘s awesome movie.
Last week I got to speak with Ice Cube at the New York City press junket. During the interview he talked about how he got involved in the project, did his character change during the shoot, karaoke, and his favorite movie, director and actor. In addition, Cube gave me an update on the next Friday sequel and addressed whether or not Chris Tucker will return. He told me, “There’s a lot of movement. I’m writing the script right now, so we worked out a deal with New Line. The ball is rolling. We invited everybody back and we’ll have a fun movie.” Hit the jump for more.
- I mention how much I loved the movie and how audiences love his character
- Does he have a favorite movie, director and actor
- What’s his karaoke song
- How did he get involved in 21 Jump Street
- How did his character change from when he first got the script to when they were shooting
- I mention how you need to be fearless in a comedy
- What’s up with another Friday sequel and will he get Chris Tucker to be in the movie
- Is he planning on directing again