The IMAX format is a pretty great way to experience a film. Though most “IMAX” experiences these days weren’t actually filmed natively in the format and are instead just blown up versions of standard format, some filmmakers (ie. Christopher Nolan) have made it a point to push genuine IMAX to its limits. It’s a cumbersome way to shoot a movie, however, as the large, bulky cameras limit the director’s camera movements, and even in dramatic scenes the camera is so loud that any dialogue onscreen has to be redubbed in ADR. However, IMAX has just unveiled a new, smaller, 65mm 4K digital 3D camera that Michael Bay used in Transformers: Age of Extinction, and the company has released a short video explaining how this new digital IMAX camera—the first of its kind—operates. I’m very curious to see if it can stack up to the film IMAX experience.
Hit the jump to watch the digital IMAX 3D camera video, and get a look at the camera in action when Transformers: Age of Extinction opens in theaters on June 27th.
- IMAX has developed the first fully integrated dual 65mm 4K digital large-format 3D camera.
- The IMAX 3D Digital Camera delivers stunning image quality and is smaller, lighter and easier to use than other 3D digital camera systems on the market.
- The IMAX 3D Digital Camera is a true 4K stereo camera. This means that both the left eye and right eye images are captured at full 4K resolution.
- Transformers: Age of Extinction is the first feature film to ever use the new IMAX3D Digital Camera.
- Exclusively in IMAX theatres, sequences filmed with the IMAX3D Digital Cameras will be presented in a 1.9:1 aspect ratio – offering moviegoers 26% more of the image than standard cinemas for a truly immersive IMAX 3D experience.
- The production team on Transformers: Age of Extinction was able to capture major action sequences of the film – including chase scenes and helicopter shots – in high-resolution 3D in a way that was previously impossible thanks to the compact size of the new cameras.
Here’s the official description of the camera (via IMAX):
IMAX’s fully integrated dual 65mm 4K digital large-format 3D camera delivers stunning image quality and is smaller, lighter and easier to use than other 3D digital camera systems on the market.
Exclusively in IMAX® theatres, sequences captured with this camera will expand to fill more of the IMAX screen with unprecedented crispness, clarity, color and earth-shattering 3D for a truly immersive experience.