Last week, Sony Pictures unveiled the world premiere of Ron Howard’s upcoming movie Inferno in Florence, Italy. The film marks the third in the Robert Langdon franchise, following 2006’s The Da Vinci Code and 2009’s Angels & Demons, and finds Tom Hanks returning as the franchise’s hero. In Inferno, Dr. Langdon wakes up in an Italian hospital with amnesia and must team up with Dr. Sienna Brooks (Felicity Jones) to recover his memories and stop a madman from unleashing a plague inspired by Dante’s Inferno. Inferno also stars Irrfan Khan, Omar Sy, Ben Foster, and Sidse Babett Knudsen.
A few hours before the premiere, I got to sit down with Tom Hanks and Felicity Jones for an exclusive video interview. Originally the interview was going to be situated overlooking the city and you’d be able to see the highlights of Florence behind them. But on the day of the interview, the weather was cold and rainy, and at the last second the location had to be brought indoors. However, while the rain might have been falling outside, both Hanks and Jones were in a great mood and talked about getting to film in Florence, how the film has an antagonist trying to deal with a real world problem, if Hanks has ever asked Dan Brown to write a Robert Langdon story that mixes in his real world love of the space program, and more.
Check out what they had to say in the video above and below you’ll find a breakdown of what we talked about along with the official synopsis. Inferno is in theaters October 28th.
Tom Hanks and Felicity Jones:
- The amazing matte painting.
- Did Hanks ever try and get Dan Brown to write a space program conspiracy to go with Hanks real life love affair of the space program?
- What will they always remember about filming in Florence?
- How the film has an antagonist trying to deal with a real world problem.
- I get to sneak in how much I loved Cloud Atlas. What you didn’t get to see on camera because they stopped taping was Hanks saying it’s one of the few films he’s been in that he’s watched multiple times.