After penning the scripts for Insidious and Insidious: Chapter 2, Leigh Whannell is completely taking the reins on the third installment by stepping in for James Wan and directing the film as well. Insidious: Chapter 3 takes place before the events of the first film. Elise Rainier (Lin Shaye) is alive and well, and someone needs her help. Not only will the movie reveal how Elise met Tucker (Angus Sampson) and Specs (Whannell), but it’ll also introduce a brand new demon, The Man Who Can’t Breathe.
While in Miami checking out the new Insidious Into the Further Experience, I got the opportunity to sit down with Whannell inside the actual haunted house/4D event to discuss his experience directing his first feature and to run through some plot details. He reveals if he honors the Insidious: Spectral Sightings shorts in this story, if the Man Who Can’t Breathe is more like the Fire-Faced Demon or the Bride in Black, if we’ll ever find out what Elise saw at the end of Insidious 2 and more. Find out all the details in the video interview below.
- Even though Whannell’s worked on tons of films, he didn’t know this one basic thing going into directing his first feature and it embarrassed him on set.
- Pretending that the Insidious: Spectral Sightings shorts don’t exist.
- Is the Man Who Can’t Breathe more like the Fire-Faced Demon or the Bride in Black?
- Will we ever find out what Elise saw at the end of Insidious: Chapter 2?
- Is Whannell interested in following James Wan and moving on to a big budget project?