If you were somehow nervous Shane Black (Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang) couldn’t handle directing Iron Man 3, it’s time to relax. Right before the Super Bowl, Marvel invited a number of domestic and international reporters to a special screening of footage from the highly-anticipated sequel. Normally when they do footage screenings, it’s a sizzle reel, meaning you see brief moments from a number of scenes. However, for Iron Man 3, the presentation started with Kevin Feige (the President of Production at Marvel Studios) telling us what happens in the first 20 minutes of the film, and then he showed us what happens in the following 15 minutes. We saw a ton of action, heard some fantastic Shane Black dialogue, learned what kind of impact The Avengers had on Tony Stark, and witnessed the power of the Mandarin. When the lights finally came up, I was smiling ear to ear and desperately wanting to see more.
Continued after the jump.
Since I know most of you don’t want to be spoiled, I’m not going to do a bullet point recap of what we saw. Reporters might do that on other sites, but I’m of the opinion that if you’re definitely going to see a movie, why spoil it early? It makes no sense. However, I’m more than happy to tease what we saw and talk about my impressions. Right after we watched the footage, I sat down with Germain from /Film to record a spoiler-free video blog. If you’d like to hear what we thought, watch it below.
The biggest takeaway from the awesome footage is that Iron Man 3 feels like the natural sequel to both Iron Man 2 and The Avengers. It also looks like they figured out a brilliant way to explain why Tony Stark would want to be left alone and not call his Avenger friends when he gets into trouble. Finally, with Iron Man 3 being the start of Marvel’s Phase 2, I also think the studio has figured out a really smart way to introduce Iron Man pushing the boundaries of what is scientifically possible and fans are going to be very excited by what they see. I really think Iron Man 3 might be the best one yet in the series and I cannot wait for May 3rd.
And one last thing: after recording the video, I was able to participate in a group interview with Robert Downey Jr., as well as an interview with director Shane Black and Kevin Feige. Click the links to read or listen to what they had to say. You can also watch the brand new Iron Man 3 trailer here.
Click here for all our Iron Man 3 coverage or browse recent coverage below:
- International IRON MAN 3 Trailer Reveals New Footage and Chinese Actors Wang Xueqi and Fan Bingbing
- New trailer for Iron Man 3
- Shane Black and Kevin Feige Talk IRON MAN 3, Crafting The Mandarin, the Scripting Process, Iron Patriot, the Film’s Connection to THE AVENGERS, and More
- Robert Downey Jr. Talks IRON MAN 3, Renewing His Marvel Contract, Working with Shane Black, Jon Favreau’s Integral Role in the Film, and More
- Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige Talks Phase Two; Says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Will Be “95% in Space”
- First Trailer for IRON MAN 3
- Geek Gifts: Hot Toys IRON MAN 3 Mark XLII Figure
- Rumor: Has IRON MAN 3’s Connection to Another Upcoming Marvel Movie Been Revealed?
- Tony Stark Is Battle-Worn in New Images from IRON MAN 3
- Producer Kevin Feige Talks IRON MAN 3, How It Relates to THE AVENGERS, The Mandarin, Iron Patriot, and More
Here’s the official synopsis for Iron Man 3:
Marvel’s “Iron Man 3″ pits brash-but-brilliant industrialist Tony Stark/Iron Man against an enemy whose reach knows no bounds. When Stark finds his personal world destroyed at his enemy’s hands, he embarks on a harrowing quest to find those responsible. This journey, at every turn, will test his mettle. With his back against the wall, Stark is left to survive by his own devices, relying on his ingenuity and instincts to protect those closest to him. As he fights his way back, Stark discovers the answer to the question that has secretly haunted him: does the man make the suit or does the suit make the man?