‘IT: Chapter 2’ Gets 2019 Release Date
Today the two studios have announced the release date for the sequel to IT as September 6, 2019, where it will debut in regular theaters and IMAX screens (for those who like to be even more terrified).
The movie has revived a sluggish summer box office, and continues to put up big numbers as it becomes the highest-grossing R-rated horror movie in the U.S. ever. Ever!
As THR has reported, IT screenwriter Gary Dauberman will be returning to pen the sequel. Though there has been no official announcement, it’s presumed that Andy Muschietti will be returning to direct. With such a huge success on their hands, in fact, it’s unlikely that much will change in terms of producers, etc, as well. There will, of course, be some new cast members, as Chapter 1 took place in the past, and Chapter 2 will be in the present. However, the beloved stars of Chapter 1 will also reportedly be appearing in the sequel in flashbacks, so fear not.
For more on IT and its reign, check out these recent stories from our Collider horror gurus, including Dave Trumbore’s look at what fans can expect from the sequel, and more:
- The Best Movies in Theaters Right Now
- ‘IT’ Officially the Highest-Grossing R-Rated Horror Movie in the U.S., Ever
- The Collider Podcast: Episode 106 – ‘IT’ and ‘mother!’
- ‘IT’ to Get Director’s Cut on Blu-ray; Will Probably Be 15 Minutes Longer
- ‘IT’ Producer Barbara Muschietti on Deleted Scenes, Sequel Plans & Getting Beverly Right