Opening this week in limited release is director John Krokidas’ Kill Your Darlings. The film focuses on the origins of the Beat movement and follows the volatile friendships of Allen Ginsberg (Daniel Radcliffe), Jack Kerouac (Jack Huston), William S. Burroughs (Ben Foster), and Lucien Carr (Dane DeHaan). There’s also a murder wrapped in between the lines. Kill Your Darlings also stars Michael C. Hall, David Cross, Kyra Sedgwick, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Elizabeth Olsen. I caught the pic at Sundance and it was one of my favorites of the festival. In addition, the entire cast was fantastic and Krokidas announces himself as a serious talent to watch. For more on the film, read Matt’s review or read all of our previous coverage.
At this year’s Toronto International Film Festival I landed an exclusive video interview with Jack Huston. He talked about what it’s like to be part of a famous filmmaking family and still earn recognition on his own terms, the difficult process of shooting Kill Your Darlings that gives the movie an extra spark, how he prepared to play Kerouac at this stage in his life, his character’s arc on Boardwalk Empire, American Hustle and the unusual way they shot the film, upcoming projects including an Errol Flynn biopic and a production of Strangers on a Train in London, and more. Hit the jump to watch.
Jack Huston Time Index:
- What it’s like to get be part of a famous filmmaking family and earn recognition on his own terms.
- 1:10 – Talk about Richard’s character arc in the new season of Boardwalk Empire.
- 3:20 – Huston likes playing characters different than himself to retain some anonymity.
- 4:25 – Talks about the difficult process of shooting Kill Your Darlings that gives the movie an extra spark.
- 6:00 – How he prepared to play Kerouac at this stage in his life.
- 8:05 – Sometimes it’s nice to have a lot of takes to find the right moment, sometimes you just need one.
- 9:35 – Looking forward to American Hustle.
- 10:35 – Huston gets some offers, but still auditions for some things.
- 11:00 – Talk about the unusual process of shooting American Hustle.
- 11:50 – Teases upcoming projects including Errol Flynn biopic and a production of Strangers on a Train in London.