Let’s Be Cops marks director Luke Greenfield’s (The Girl Next Door) return to hard R-rated comedy after the mellower PG-13 affair Something Borrowed. The film stars Jake Johnson and Damon Wayans Jr. as two friends who impersonate police officers using rented uniforms and a car purchased on eBay, but in the midst of all their fun they run into trouble with a dangerous Russian mobster. Rob Riggle joins them in their adventures as a straight-laced real cop who can’t quite make heads or tails of the unlikely duo’s partnership
I recently had the chance to sit down with the trio to discuss the film and the somewhat surprising revelation that Riggle essentially plays the straight man in this movie. We also talked about Johnson and Wayans’ New Girl chemistry and Johnson’s appearance in the upcoming Jurassic World. Hit the jump for the Let’s Be Cops interview (be sure to check out the red-band trailer as well). The film also stars Nina Dobrev, James D’Arcy, and Keegan-Michael Key. 20th Century Fox releases it wide this Wednesday, August 13th.
Jake Johnson, Damon Wayans Jr. and Rob Riggle:
- They discuss what attracted them to the project.
- Riggle talks about playing the straight man off of Johnson and Wayans Jr.
- Johnson and Wayans Jr. reveal they went on a police ride-along to Compton.
- How they balance comedy improv against scripted action sequences.
- Will there be an expanded version on Blu-ray?
- How is the dynamic here different than on the New Girl?
- Johnson talks a bit about Jurassic World and praises director Colin Trevorrow.