Sony Pictures held a press conference today to announce details on the 23rd James Bond film. First up, Sony confirmed the title would be Skyfall, which sounds a bit sci-fi, but is a billion times better than “Quantum of Solace“. As for the title’s meaning, producer Barbara Broccoli says, “It has emotional context which will be revealed in the film.” The press conference was also attended by director Sam Mendes, co-producer Michael G. Wilson, and cast members Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem, Judi Dench, Bérénice Marlohe, and Naomie Harris.
The official James Bond twitter, @007, tweeted the logline: “Bond’s loyalty to M is tested as her past comes back to haunt her. As MI6 comes under attack, 007 must track down and destroy the threat, no matter how personal the cost.” Hit the jump for more juicy details on 007′s next adventure. The film also stars Ralph Fiennes, Albert Finney, and Ben Whishaw. Skyfall is due out November 9, 2012. [We've updated the story with the press release, as well as photos and video from the press conference, all of which you can check out after the jump.]
HeyUGuys did an awesome job of live-blogging the event and they took a photo of the tentative logo (seen right). Here are the major details regarding the new film:
- Shooting on Skyfall began today.
- We knew that Marlohe was the new Bond girl. At the press conference, it was revealed that her “glamours, enigmatic character” is named named “Severin”. [I guess because of all the severing she does?]
- Naomie Harris says her character’s name is “Eve” and that she’s a field agent. There was no mention of the previous report that she was playing Moneypenny. [For those wondering, Moneypenny's first name is "Jane" in Ian Fleming's novels.]
- Marlohe says she’s been learning to fire guns, and Harris says her prep works includes doing yoga three times a week, stunt driving, firing machine guns, stunt training, jumping out of cars, and running up and down stairs. [That sounds insane. How many stairs?]
- Skyfall doesn’t relate to any existing property. It’s a stand-alone story and doesn’t connect to the first two movies [So much for "QUANTUM". The world wept.]
- The producers implied they wouldn’t reveal some character names because it’s possible that some fans may recognize them.
In terms of information revealed, I would say they announced some good stuff. Sure, there were no major plot points, but I’m glad we found out a bit more on Harris’ character and I think it’s a good choice that they’re deciding to make an independent story rather than force a QUANTUM mythos that no one really cares about.
EON PRODUCTIONS, METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER STUDIOS AND SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT
ANNOUNCE 7th NOVEMBER
IS START OF PRODUCTION
FOR 23rd JAMES BOND FILM
LONDON, UK, November 3rd, 2011 – Producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli today presented the cast of the 23rd James Bond adventure, entitled SKYFALL. The film, from Albert R. Broccoli’s Eon Productions, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, and Sony Pictures Entertainment, is directed by Academy Award® winner Sam Mendes and stars Daniel Craig, who returns for his third film as James Bond 007. The screenplay is written by Neal Purvis & Robert Wade and John Logan. SKYFALL, which goes into production on Monday, November 7th, will begin its worldwide roll-out in the UK and Ireland on October 26th 2012 and in North America on November 9th 2012.
Joining Michael G. Wilson, Barbara Broccoli and Director Sam Mendes were members of the cast of SKYFALL, including: Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem, Dame Judi Dench, Naomie Harris and Bérénice Marlohe. The filmmakers also announced Ralph Fiennes, Albert Finney and Ben Whishaw.
In SKYFALL, Bond’s loyalty to M is tested as her past comes back to haunt her. As MI6 comes under attack, 007 must track down and destroy the threat, no matter how personal the cost.
“We’re so delighted to have Sam Mendes direct SKYFALL and be working once again with Daniel Craig. We’ve a great script, an extraordinary cast and an incredibly talented creative team for this latest James Bond adventure,” said Wilson and Broccoli.
The Director of Photography is Roger Deakins, a nine-time Oscar® nominee who previously shot the films Jarhead and Revolutionary Road for Mendes. The Production Designer is Oscar® winner Dennis Gassner, who previously designed Quantum of Solace and collaborated with Mendes on the films Road to Perdition and Jarhead. The Editor is Stuart Baird, A.C.E., whose many credits include Casino Royale. Jany Temime, whose many credits include the Harry Potter series, In Bruges, and Children of Men, is the Costume Designer. Action specialist Alexander Witt is the 2nd Unit Director. Gary Powell is Stunt Co-ordinator, Chris Corbould is SFX Supervisor and Steve Begg is Visual Effects Supervisor, all of whom have worked on previous Bond films.
007 fans can learn more about SKYFALL at the James Bond franchise Facebook page at www.facebook.com/JamesBond007.
Here’s video from the press conference:
And finally here’s a gallery of photos from the event: