Opening this weekend in limited release and expanding to select theaters nationwide on 11/14 and 11/21 is director A.J. Edwards’ drama The Better Angels. The film spans three years of young Abraham Lincoln’s (Braydon Denney) childhood as it explores how his family and hardships shaped him into the man he would become. It marks the feature debut of Edwards, who previously worked as an editor and second-unit director on some of Terrence Malick’s films. The Better Angels also stars Jason Clarke as Tom Lincoln, Diane Kruger as Sarah Lincoln, Brit Marling as Nancy Lincoln, and Wes Bentley as Mr. Crawford. For more on the film, watch the trailer.
A few days ago I landed an extended video interview with Jason Clarke. He talked about what it’s like winning the “actors lottery,” how he got involved in The Better Angels and what it was like to shoot with A.J. Edwards, how he researched the role, what it was like making Matt Reeves Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and what he knows about the sequel, the experience of shooting director Alan Taylor’s Terminator Genisys, what it was like working with Kathryn Bigelow, and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch.
- Reminiscing about the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes set visit.
- 1:10 – Clarke lists the many places he has traveled for work lately.
- 3:00 – Hints at a partnership that he’s excited about.
- 4:00 – Talks about working with Kathryn Bigelow.
- 5:10 – How he got involved in The Better Angels and what it was like to shoot with A.J. Edwards.
- 8:45 – Clarke describes how he researched for the role.
- 10:35 – He hasn’t heard anything about the Apes sequels. Clarke is under contract for one more but isn’t certain he’ll be in the next one.
- 12:25 – Talks about the experience of shooting Terminator Genisys.
- 15:15 – Clarke is taking a bit of time off, but hints at an “old reunion” announcement coming soon.