If you’re a long time Collider reader, you know we’re big fans of Jay Baruchel (Undeclared, Fanboys, Tropic Thunder, Knocked Up). I’ve interviewed him a number of times and he’s always been incredibly nice and willing to talk about anything. In fact, just a few weeks ago, I spoke to him in NYC for his movie She’s Out of My League.
With Baruchel the lead voice in DreamWorks great new animated movie How to Train Your Dragon, I got to sit down with Baruchel last week for an extended interview. During our conversation we covered everything – from how he got involved in How to Train Your Dragon to his upcoming Disney movie The Sorcerer’s Apprentice with Nicolas Cage. We also discussed the hockey movie he wrote with Evan Goldberg called Goon, and what’s the status of the project. He said they have a director and are close to having a star and described it as “Raging Bull with jokes.”
It’s a great interview so hit the jump and check it out.
If you’d like to watch some clips from How to Train Your Dragon, click here. And, finally, a big thank you to Jay Baruchel for giving me so much time during his busy schedule.
- How has the last week or two been
- Talks about the whirlwind he is in the middle of with 3 big movies coming out right now
- Tells a good story about going to Carls Jr. to get a burger
- 1:55 – How did he get involved in How to Train Your Dragon
- 3:08 – How much of him is in his character as they tape the people recording their voice stuff
- 4:50 – We talk about how good the movie is and how good the 3D is
- 5:40 – How did the movie change during the 3 year process of making the movie
- 7:03 – What is his favorite bit of improv that made it into the movie
- 7:55 – Is it exciting for him to realize he will probably play this character again
- 9:15 – Sorcerer’s Apprentice talk – what was it like to make the movie and work with Nicolas Cage
- 11:55 – Was he ever able to geek out with Nic Cage and what did they talk about. Tells great stories
- 13:55 – Talks about what he has coming up – Goon talk. Wrote it with Evan Goldberg. Says they have a director and close to having a star. Hopes to be shooting at the end of the summer. It’s about ice hockey and says if it comes to fruition, it will be the goriest, rowdiest, coarsest language, awesomess, hockey flick ever made.
- 15:30 – He talks about the tone and says he wants it to be Raging Bull with jokes and it ends on a dark note. Calls it funny and brutal.