While I’ve interviewed many people over the past seven years, Jeffrey Dean Morgan is one my favorites. No matter where and when we talk, he’s always brutally honest and willing to have fun. Which brings me to last week at Comic-Con. When my scheduled interview had to be changed at the last minute, Morgan was the one who suggested meeting up after he’d finished his press for the day so we could have an extended conversation. Needless to say, I immediately said yes.
During the interview we talked about his thoughts on Before Watchmen, Watchmen‘s extended cut, his upcoming horror movie The Posession (here’s the first trailer) which also stars Kyra Sedgwick, and Natasha Calis, Red Dawn, Magic City, what it’s like to film on location in Miami, being at Comic-Con, and The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea with Jessica Biel and Chloe Moretz. Hit the jump to watch.
Jeffrey Dean Morgan Time Index:
- 0:30 – Morgan talks about the Comic-Con experience after starring in Watchmen.
- 2:20 – Uses the example of a devoted 40-year-old fan with a Comedian badge to describe his interaction with fans.
- 4:00 – Talk about the extended cut of Watchmen. Says he’s now seen the movie “maybe 10 times.”
- 5:30 – His first reaction to Before Watchmen was to shun it out of respect to Watchmen. He still hasn’t read it, but wants to read it based on fan reaction.
- 7:00 – Red Dawn is finally coming out on November 21. He’s heard good things.
- 8:00 – Talk about the switch from China to North Korea as the antagonist nation.
- 9:10 – When they shot Red Dawn in 2009, it was a lesser known cast. Now Chris Hemsworth is Thor and Josh Huthcherson is Peeta in The Hunger Games.
- 10:20 – He returns to Miami in September to shoot season two of Magic City.
- 12:00 – The buzz from hardcore horror fans on The Possession is good. It apparently “tested through the roof” for Lionsgate. Explains why The Possession convinced him to do horror.
- 16:40 – The television schedule is “fucking brutal,” so he turned down things to have some free time. He is excited about The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea with Jessica Biel and Chloe Moretz.