Already playing in limited release, and expanding this weekend, is a quirky comedy called “The Promotion.” The film was a big hit at the SXSW Film Festival and it’s about two mid-level Chicago supermarket employees who compete ruthlessly for a coveted managerial post at a new store location. And playing the two employees… John C. Reilly and Seann William Scott.
One of the reasons I enjoyed the film is director Steve Conrad doesn’t offer the audience a typical villain. There’s no one person that’s good, and one that’s bad. Instead, he shows how two people will do many things there’re not proud of to try and get ahead in life.
While it’s not as splashy as the big budget summer blockbusters that typically come out in June, I think you should give it a chance. Also, for fans of “The Office,” Jenna Fischer plays Seann’s wife and she’s great.
Finally, if you’d like to watch some clips from “The Promotion,” click here.
Jenna Fischer Video Interview The Promotion
- Starts with us talking about my braid being gone
- Why did she want to take this role
- We talk about the script
- I do my “true or not true” joke. I ask if Sean William Scott made her watch all the American Pie movies before he’d work with her. She tells a funny story.
- We talk about The Office and the quality of writing after the strike ended.
- I ask about the finale and what did she think of it
- I ask if she thinks bringing in new characters can help a sitcom stay fresh