Jeremy Renner recently formed the production company The Combine with Don Handfield. Renner and Handfield announced their first project, a Steve McQueen biopic, in April. Variety reports The Combine’s second project, Slingshot, will likewise center on a real-life figure. Bill Caswell bought a BMW for $500 on Craigslist, then rebuilt it to compete against professionals in the World Rally Championships — Caswell’s team finished third in their class.
Renner is committed to star as Caswell; Handfield will write the screenplay. No director is mentioned, though Handfield is in post-production on his feature directorial debut, the sports drama Touchback, so you have to imagine he’s under consideration. Hit the jump for a recap of Renner’s busy slate.
Let’s do this with bullets:
- Renner will next be seen in Mission Impossible – Ghost Protocol, scheduled for release on December 16
- The actor recently wrapped production on Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters with Gemma Arterton
- He is currently shooting The Avengers
- Renner was tapped to reboot the Bourne franchise in The Bourne Legacy
- He will soon star opposite Jennifer Garner in Better Living Through Chemistry
- He will voice a new character in Ice Age: Continental Drift
- In addition to McQueen, Renner is also attached to By Virtue Fall
Plenty to do, but Caswell’s story is the kind you make time for. After he finished the race, Caswell shared this endearing anecdote in an e-mail to a friend:
I signed autographs for three hours straight on Sunday alone. He thinks it might be close to 1500 or 2000 autographs and maybe 1000-1500 pictures. A couple hundred people were screaming “Caswell! Caswell!” at one point. But I guess the fact that Ken Block and I are the only Americans that came down makes me legit or something? We finished third in class. Don’t know how I got here. Nuts.
For more on Caswell, check out this informative feature at Jalopnik.