With writer-director J.J. Abrams Super 8 opening next week, I was recently able to interview him in London for our partners at Omelete. While Abrams likes to keep his films under wraps while they’re in production, by now you know Super 8 takes place in the summer of 1979 and it’s about a group of friends that discovers something not from this world while making a super 8 film. Mix in that it’s produced by Steven Spielberg, uses his Amblin logo (which should clue you into what kind of movie this is), and you’re got a great coming-of-age story that I think audiences are going to love.
During my interview with Abrams we talked about the secrecy surrounding the film, the fact that a super 8 movie is getting released in IMAX, how involved was he in the ARG/viral stuff, what does it mean to use the Amblin logo, and what are the Easter Eggs that people should look out for. He says “there are a couple of things hidden here and there,” and he also says “Leonard Nimoy is in the movie somewhere if you can find him.”
In addition, I also asked about the Star Trek sequel. With production not yet underway, I wondered if he’d be able to make the summer 2012 release date. He said “we’re working really hard to get that movie made as soon as possible, but we don’t want to rush anything. The worst thing we could possible do would be to put something into production to make a release date instead of a great movie.” Amen. Hit the jump to watch.
And one last thing…thanks to the guys at Omelete for editing this interview. They did a great job adding “production value.” You’ll understand that reference after watching Super 8.
- Did he make Super 8 with the sole purpose of releasing a Super 8 movie in IMAX
- With all the secrecy surrounding Super 8, is he frustrated that it’s not coming out around the world day and date
- How involved is he in the ARG/viral stuff for Super 8
- Was Super 8 made for his son (he’s 13)
- 2:30 – The Amblin logo. What does it mean to him to have the logo in front of his movie. Also, what were his favorite Amblin movies
- 4:00 – Did the kid have to come from a broken home to get the Amblin logo. Talks about why he wanted to have the main character missing a parent
- 4:45 – Does he think the Star Trek sequel will still come out next summer or will the release date get pushed back
- 5:15 – Talks about how the kids in the movie really wrote a lot of the movie within the movie in Super 8 (the zombie movie)
- 6:05 – Are there any Easter Eggs he wants people to look out for? Says that “there are a couple of things hidden here and there.” Also says that “Leonard Nimoy is in the movie somewhere if you can find him.”