With Star Trek Beyond opening in theaters this weekend, the other day I landed an exclusive video interview with producer J.J. Abrams. Since he’s been answering a lot of the same questions about Star Trek, plus the fact that I didn’t want to talk about spoilers from the movie, I decided to ask some fun questions. We talked about what he collects, favorite video game consoles, what they’d like to see in a Star Wars anthology movie, if he’s playing Pokemon Go, Supreme Leader Snoke, how many times he talked Simon Pegg off a ledge while making Star Trek Beyond, and who he slept with to be able to work on both Star Wars and Star Trek.
As most of you know Star Trek Beyond finds the crew deep into their five-year mission, and brings Idris Elba into the fold as a villainous character, with Kingsman standout Sofia Boutella playing a new ally. Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana, John Cho, and Anton Yelchin also star as director Justin Lin works from a script penned by Pegg and Doug Jung.
Check out the interview above and below you can find the official synopsis followed by some recent Star Trek links and exactly what we talked about.
“Star Trek Beyond,” the highly anticipated next installment in the globally popular Star Trek franchise, created by Gene Roddenberry and reintroduced by J.J. Abrams in 2009, returns with director Justin Lin (“The Fast and the Furious” franchise) at the helm of this epic voyage of the U.S.S. Enterprise and her intrepid crew. In “Beyond,” the Enterprise crew explores the furthest reaches of uncharted space, where they encounter a mysterious new enemy who puts them and everything the Federation stands for to the test.
- Does he just walk down the street nowadays getting high fives from random people?
- How many times did he talk Simon Pegg down off a ledge while making Star Trek Beyond?
- Who did he sleep with to land being able to work on Star Wars and Star Trek?
- What does he collect?
- Favorite video game system?
- Is he playing Pokemon Go?
- Does he know the true identity/story of Supreme Leader Snoke?
- What is he directing next?
- What would he like to see in a future Star Wars Anthology film?
Here are some recent Star Trek links:
- First ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Reactions Are Highly Positive
- Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto on What They Collect and If They’re Playing Pokemon Go
- Watch Simon Pegg and Karl Urban Try and Out-Franchise Each Other
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’: Chris Pine on Kirk’s Psychological Battle
- Watch: Simon Pegg Shares “Star Trek Bed, Bath & Beyond” Spoof Video