Over the last few weeks, Sony has finally started to reveal details about director Neill Blomkamp’s (District 9) sci-fi pic Elysium. Just as District 9 tackled issues of segregation and xenophobia, the first synopsis for Elysium reveals that the sci-fi, future-set story will be delving into the immigration debate. Set in 2159, two classes of people are roughly divided: the wealthy live on a man-made space station called Elysium, while the rest of the humans inhabit an overpopulated and ruined Earth. For more on the film, here’s Matt’s recap of the Comic-Con panel, the viral campaign, and Comic-Con interviews with Blomkamp, producer Simon Kinberg, and Matt Damon, Jodie Foster and Sharlto Copley.
Shortly after the panel, I got to speak with Jodie Foster. We talked about being at Comic-Con for the first time, what she collects, how she got involved in Elysium, who she plays, the relationship between Blomkamp and the studio during production, how she prepares for a role, future plans, her thoughts on doing a TV series, Contact, and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch.
- 0:15 – The experience of attending Comic-Con for the first time.
- 0:51 – If there’s anything like posters, toys, etc. she collects.
- 1:17 – Which of her movies people want to talk to about when they bump into her on the street.
- 1:37 – Looking back on Contact.
- 2:23 – How she became involved with Elysium and her role in the film.
- 4:09 – How her previous work as a director affects her approach as an actress.
- 5:09 – The relationship between Blomkamp and the studio during production.
- 5:59 – Working with Blomkamp on developing her character.
- 6:54 – How she prepares for a role.
- 7:52 – If there’s going to be another long break between her directing gigs, and how she chooses those projects.
- 8:45 – What she’s reading right now, and her future plans.
- 9:31 – The appeal of telling stories in a televised series, and the future of the industry.