Currently playing in limited release and expanding into more theaters this week is Cyrus. Written and directed by Jay Duplass & Mark Duplass (The Puffy Chair, Baghead), the movie centers on John (John C. Reilly), a film editor who’s down on his luck and still emotionally attached to his soon-to-be remarried ex-wife, Jamie (Catherine Keener). John’s prospects take a turn when he meets Molly (Marisa Tomei) at a party. However, when her 21 year-old son/housemate Cyrus (Jonah Hill) enters the picture, he becomes an unexpected saboteur of John’s attempts at Molly’s heart.
While you might think going down the studio road might somehow change who The Duplass Brothers are, they stuck to their indie tricks. The way they did that was to film the movie in order and to improvise much of the dialogue. What they ended up with was a touching, original story that blends humor & heartbreak. Definitely recommended.
Anyway, I recently got to talk with John C. Reilly about how he got involved in the project and what it was like to work for the Duplass Brothers. I also asked him about his future projects like Cedar Rapids and We Need to Talk About Kevin, as well as what will it take to get him paired up again with Will Ferrell. Hit the jump to see what he had to say:
Finally, if you’d like to watch some clips from Cyrus, click here.
John C. Reilly
- Was he told in advance they’d be shooting in order and did he prefer it
- Reilly talks about shooting on 2 cameras and 15 minute takes
- How was it for him to maintain his energy on such long takes and we talk about the improv. He says they never gave each other lines and they always wanted to surprise the other person
- What it’s going to take to get Will Ferrell and him together again
- Cedar Rapids and We Need to Talk About Kevin talk