John Carter is coming to Blu-ray and DVD on June 5, and I hope it finds a second life in home release. I don’t know what it would take to justify a sequel, but for the sake of ambitious, lush science fiction like this, it would be unfortunate if the lasting legacy was that of a flop. The expansive universe, as designed by Edgar Rice Borroughs, is really built for serialization. We have seen this potential realized on screen in the many properties that were inspired by John Carter of Mars. Jon Favreau points to Star Wars and Superman as two indelible franchises that benefit from the Mars mythos in the featurette, “Influence of John Carter,” which will appear on the Blu-ray. We were provided a one-minute clip from the featurette, with supporting remarks by Willem Dafoe (the voice of Tars Tarkas in the movie), and we’d like to share it with you after the jump.
Here is a list of all the extras included in the 4-Disc Combo Pack:
4-Disc Combo Pack (3D BD + 2D BD + DVD + Digital Copy)
Blu-ray bonus features:
- Disney Second Screen – Explore John Carter’s journal with this innovative in-world experience and uncover a trove of fascinating details that extend the mythology of the movie.
- 360 Degrees of John Carter – Experience every aspect of the filmmaking process on one of the movie’s biggest production days.
- Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary by Director, Andrew Stanton
- Barsoom Bloopers
- Plus all DVD features
DVD bonus features:
- 100 Years In The Making – Follow the journey of Edgar Rice Burroughs’ story, from its origins as a pulp novel to its arrival onscreen.
- Audio Commentary with Filmmakers