With the release of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D this weekend, Twentieth Century Fox recently hosted a press junket at Skywalker Ranch and Lucasfilm. In an effort to promote the experience for the next generation, my seven year-old daughter, Cyan, interviewed four people who helped bring George Lucas’ vision to life. Her first interview was with John Goodson, a digital artist with Lucasfilm who worked as a concept model artist on The Phantom Menace. They talked about the kind of training he needed to become a concept artist, his favorite creation, podracing, his favorite Star Wars character, Destroyer Droids, and more. Hit the jump to watch.
- Did he like Star Wars when he was a kid
- Who as his favorite star wars character and why
- What was the most challenging model to create
- What training did you need to become a concept artist
- What’s his favorite creation
- How do you change the podracing landscape to what viewers see
- What elements are most important to make a model believable for an audience