With twice the terror and double the D’s of the first film, Piranha 3DD (opening in theaters and available on VOD on June 1st) sees the flesh-eating fish return to sink their razor sharp teeth into the visitor’s of The Big Wet Water Park. This time there is more insanity, more blood, more boobs and even David Hasselhoff to add to all the zany fun. The film stars Danielle Panabaker, David Koechner, Matt Bush, Chris Zylka, Katrina Bowden, Jean-Luc Bilodeau, Christopher Lloyd and Gary Busey.
At the film’s press day, I had the opportunity to speak with director John Gulager, who was accompanied by one of his piranha stars, about how he approached making the sequel even more outrageous, shooting in Real 3D and the challenges that presented, not having many deleted scenes even though the cut is under 90 minutes, and how what it was like to work with David Hasselhoff. Hit the jump to watch.
- How he approached ensuring there would be twice the terror and double the D’s
- How shooting in Real 3D with the big cameras affected how he approached shooting things, especially underwater
- The challenges of blending scares and twisted humor to keep things campy without crossing too far into spoof
- Whether or not there are many deleted scenes for the film
- How game David Hasselhoff was with poking fun at himself