Now playing in theaters is director John Pogue’s supernatural horror film The Quiet Ones. The period pic stars Jared Harris as an unorthodox professor who sets up a series of dangerous experiments in order to explore the dark energy manifested by the damaged psyche of a young girl. Naturally, things don’t go well. The film also stars Sam Claflin, Olivia Cooke, Erin Richards, and Rory Fleck-Byrne. For more on The Quiet Ones, check out some creepy motion posters, the trailer, and all of our previous coverage.
At the Los Angeles press day, I landed an exclusive video interview with Pogue. He talked about getting to make film under the Hammer Films umbrella, changes during production, the length of his assembly cut, what will be on the Blu-ray, if they shot an alternate ending, his transition from writing to directing, how he was the executive producer on the original The Fast and the Furious, upcoming projects, and more. Hit the jump to watch.
- 0:15 – Talks about what it meant to him to make the film under the Hammer name and legacy.
- 1:25 – Comments on the changes to the film throughout the development period.
- 2:25 – Reveals how long his assembly ran, the length of his first cut, and his feelings on its length.
- 3:15 – Talks about the 20 minutes or so that were cut from the film by the final edit.
- 4:30 – Reveals his plan for the eventual Blu-ray and whether or not it will include a director’s cut and/or deleted scenes.
- 5:30 – Talks about whether or not he shot an alternate ending and how close the film’s ending hit to what was originally scripted.
- 6:55 – Comments on the period of time in the mid-2000s when he was transitioning from writing to directing.
- 8:10 – Talks about fully-funded films that fell apart at the last minute for various reasons.
- 8:35 – Pogue was the executive producer on the original The Fast and the Furious. He talks about how he landed that credit.
- 9:35 – Comments on his in-development scripts and upcoming projects he’s excited to see come to fruition.
And for more on The Quiet Ones:
- Sam Claflin Talks THE QUIET ONES, POSH, THE HUNGER GAMES, LOVE ROSIE, Comic Book Movies, Auditioning, and More
- Olivia Cooke Talks THE QUIET ONES, BATES MOTEL, ME, EARL AND THE DYING GIRL, and More
- Jared Harris Talks THE QUIET ONES, Auditioning, Keeping Up with MAD MEN, THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., POLTERGEIST, THE BOXTROLLS, and More
- Jared Harris, Sam Claflin and Olivia Cooke Talk THE QUIET ONES, Hammer Films, Script Changes, Deleted Scenes, and More