I absolutely loved John Wick. From the innovative action set pieces, to the weird and wild world directors Chad Stahelski and David Leitch created, it’s a film I’ve probably watched a dozen times and it never gets old. As most of you know, Keanu Reeves stars as an ex-hitman who comes out of retirement to track down the gangsters that took everything from him. And by everything … I mean his dog. The entire film is a result of a bad decision by a gangster’s son, and every time Keanu Reeves kills someone I think it’s justified. Don’t fuck with someone’s pet, especially when it was the last thing a dying wife gave her loving husband.
And while Hollywood likes to make sequels and prequels to films that don’t need one, I’m all aboard the John Wick sequel train. So when Lionsgate announced they were moving ahead on John Wick: Chapter Two, I was ready to head to my local theater and buy tickets. But with a February 10, 2017 release date, I might have been a bit too soon.
Anyway, last night before the CinemaCon Awards in Las Vegas, I was able to talk to Keanu Reeves about the John Wick: Chapter Two. While we talked about what’s different about the sequel, the fight scenes, filming in Rome, that gun range video that went viral, and a lot more, the real highlight was that Reeves sounded enthusiastic about doing even more sequels. He told me:
“I love John Wick. We had an amazing time making this story. I can’t say that we’re not geeked about continuing the idea and the character. We have some really cool ideas. We talk about what would be cool to take it to the next level.”
So if you’re like me and love John Wick, it looks like we might get more installments! I’m all in on this thing.
Check out what Reeves told me about the sequel above.
If you haven’t read the Chapter Two synopsis:
Keanu Reeves returns in the sequel to the 2014 hit as legendary hitman John Wick who is forced to back out of retirement by a former associate plotting to seize control of a shadowy international assassins’ guild. Bound by a blood oath to help him, John travels to Rome where he squares off against some of the world’s deadliest killers. Lionsgate’s “John Wick: Chapter 2” arriving in theaters on February 10, 2017.
The sequel stars John Leguizamo, Lance Reddick, Bridget Moynahan, Ian McShane, Laurence Fishburne, Ruby Rose, Common, Peter Stormare, and Riccardo Scamarcio.
- :30 – On why he’s at CinemaCon
- :45 – Reveals they have a bit more filming to do on the sequel and why they’re not done.
- 1:00 – What’s different in the sequel. Reveals sequel starts pretty soon after the first film.
- 2:20 – The new and returning cast.
- 3:10 – The gun range video that went viral. Talks about the training he did for the sequel.
- 4:25 – Filming in Rome
- 4:55 – Does The Continental Hotel and the city of Rome intertwine?
- 5:15 – Does he want to do more John Wick sequels if the second one is another success? Reveals they have some cool ideas for more sequels.
- 6:15 – How are the fight sequences in the sequel? Talks about how the story influences the fight scenes.
For more on John Wick 2, be sure to check out our recent coverage below:
- Watch Keanu Reeves Rip Through a Gun-Training Course for ‘John Wick: Chapter Two’
- ‘John Wick: Chapter Two’ Footage Receives Ecstatic Response at CinemaCon
- ‘John Wick 2′ Gets New Title, Setting; 2017 Release Date Confirmed
- ‘John Wick 2’ Set Video and Images Put Keanu Reeves Back in Action