Zazie Beetz has carried over the good luck from her role as Domino in Deadpool 2 and is in talks to join another
superhero supervillain movie: Warner Bros.’ Joker. The studio’s standalone picture, which is separate from their current big-screen run of the DC Cinematic Universe, stars Joaquin Phoenix in the title role as the Clown Prince of Crime.
THR reports that Beetz is indeed in talks to star in Joker as “a single mother who catches the interest of the man” who would one day become the Joker. That character description fits with the relatively darker tone and crime-thriller aesthetic that’s been teased for the film so far, but unfortunately that means our fan-casting of Beetz as Harley Quinn is probably way off.
The “dark character study” approach, akin to Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy, to the DC Comics’ most notorious villain is co-written by Todd Phillips and Scott Silver. Their logline: “an exploration of a man disregarded by society [that] is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.” Fans can look forward to seeing the film in theaters relatively soon as it was just set for a October 4, 2019 release; filming is expected to start this September in New York.
Are you down with Beetz alongside Phoenix in Joker? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!
For more of our coverage on Joker, be sure to get caught up by clicking through on these recent write-ups linked below:
- ‘Joker’ Origin Movie Starring Joaquin Phoenix Gets October 2019 Release Date
- Exclusive: Joaquin Phoenix on His “Unique” Joker Movie and Why It Scares Him
- ‘The Flash’ Movie to Abandon “Somber Themes”; Joker Movie Filming Date and Budget Revealed
- Jared Leto’s Joker Set for Standalone Movie at Warner Bros.
- Exclusive: Joaquin Phoenix on Paul Thomas Anderson, Turning Down Roles, and the Joker