With Battle: Los Angeles opening tomorrow, I got to speak with director Jonathan Liebesman at the Los Angeles press junket. Since we’ve been covering the film since it’s inception, you all know the film tells the story of an alien invasion as seen through the eyes of a Marine platoon headed up by Aaron Eckhart. The film also stars Michelle Rodriguez, Bridget Moynahan, Michael Pena and Ramon Rodriguez. You can watch some clips and read the full synopsis here.
Anyway, all week we’ve been posting video interviews with the cast and now it’s time for the director. During the interview, Liebesman talked about how he did some of the special effects himself (they look great), the challenges of making the film, casting, test screenings, and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch:
And one last thing, I thought Battle: Los Angeles was great. It’s definitely recommended.
- What’s it like to jump into Battle: LA again after spending the last few months on Clash of the Titans 2
- Explains how he’s still been doing some of the special effects
- 1:15 – Talks about how he did some of the special effects himself on his computer. Explains how he did it.
- 3:30 – How many times did they redo shots
- 4:10 – What were some of the challenges he had to deal with making the film. Talks about how he was influenced by other successful directors
- 5:50 – Talks about balancing a Hollywood movie and what would really happen in a war
- 7:00 – How did the test screening process go
- 9:10 – Talks about the incredibly marketing campaign that Sony put together for his film
- 10:00 – Casting talk. How much was it his cast versus what the studio wanted