At the recent New York press day for Skyfall, I was able to speak with Dame Judi Dench. We talked about what’s been the best part of playing M for almost two decades, when she first heard that M would be a big part of Skyfall, what it was like to work with cinematographer Roger Deakins, how she prepares for a role, her upcoming film with Stephen Frears, and a lot more.
I absolutely loved Skyfall. Director Sam Mendes has crafted one of the best James Bond movies ever made and it’s also one of my favorite films of the year. While the Bond franchise is now 50 years old, Mendes has shown the best might be yet to come. I really can’t recommend this film enough. For all our Skyfall coverage including clips, posters, my set visit and more, click here. Skyfall stars Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Javier Bardem, Helen McCrory, Ralph Fiennes, Ben Whishaw, Berenice Marlohe, and Naomie Harris. Hit the jump to watch the interview.
Dame Judi Dench:
- I mention how much I loved the film
- What’s the best part of being part of the Bond franchise for 18 years
- What’s her process for getting ready for a role
- When did she first hear that the relationship between Bond and M would be a major component of Skyfall and was she excited to explore their relationship further
- What was it like to work with Roger Deakins
- I ask what it was like to work on Better Living Through Chemistry (which I saw on her IMDb page) and she says she wasn’t able to be in the film even though they asked her to do it
- Says she’s about to start filming a Stephen Frears film in Washington