Along with Francisco Gonzalez’s excellent weekly news recaps–This Week in Superhero News and This Week in Movie Trailers–we’re happy to provide you with This Week in Animation News to get you caught up on all things animated you might have missed over the past seven days. We’re talking movies, TV shows, digital shorts, and everything in between!
This week, we’ve already seen the stunning start to Moana‘s box office performance with a record-setting Tuesday preview for the Thanksgiving holiday week. Disney’s new feature film will also screen with the short film Inner Workings playing in front of it; you can sneak a peek at it in a newly released trailer. Elsewhere in the trailer department, we saw a darkly dramatic first look at Pixar’s Cars 3 and a mysterious, mischievous new trailer for Sony Pictures Animation’s Smurfs: The Lost Village.
In honor of An American Tail‘s 30th anniversary this month, we looked back at the film’s lessons and found them to be strikingly relevant in the modern era; the animated classic is worth a revisit on its own merits, but its contemporary cultural relevance makes another watch even more worthwhile. And as always, we’ve gathered the best animated movies available for you to stream on Netflix this month!
For the latest animation stories we’ve already covered on the site this week, take a look at the following links. Then, check out a selection of new stories below. Be sure to let us know your thoughts in the comments!
- ‘Moana’ Breaks Box Office Record in Thanksgiving Week Debut
- ‘Smurfs: The Lost Village’: New Trailer Teases Mysterious Characters in the Miniature World
- First ‘Cars 3’ Teaser Trailer Heralds the Dramatic Return of Lightning McQueen
- ‘An American Tale’: Modern Lessons on Racism, Immigration and Human Decency
- ‘Inner Workings’ Trailer Provides a Look at the Cute Short in Front of ‘Moana’
- The Best Animated Movies on Netflix Right Now (November 2016)