Kayne West is a Renaissance man who makes great music when he’s not sticking his foot in his mouth. His ego seems to know no bounds but there’s talent to back it up, so he becomes a figure of fun at best and an eye-rolling irritant at worst. After a three-hour Twitter marathon where he managed to talk only about himself, he briefly mentioned, ” I was just discussing becoming the creative director for the Jetson [sic] movie and…” After your brain takes the half-minute to process that strange revelation, it almost begins to make sense.
Hit the jump for more on this semi-madness. [We’ve updated the story after the jump]
Here’s the full tweet-stream regarding West’s possible involvement in a Jetsons movie:
I was just discussing becoming the creative director for the Jetson movie and someone on the call yelled out.. you should do a Jetsons tour!
This just happened a few hours ago. I was very insulted of course becuase for anyone that’s seen the Watch the Throne Tour…
Or Coachella or Glow in the Dark or Runaway.. you know I have real ideas…
Real ideas: robot teddy bears. Again, a Jetsons movie with Kanye West’s involvement makes some sort of bizarre, twisted sense.
You may recall Robert Rodridguez had been attached to an adaptation of the classic Hanna-Barbera cartoon about life in 2062 (fifty years from now, we’ll all have flying cars and housekeeping robots, but we’ll still carry cash in wallets). Last summer, producer Denise Di Novi provided this update:
“I’ve been developing that for so many years. We actually just turned a new draft in of that script last week to the studio, so I’m still trying to make it. I still think it would be a hit movie. [Robert Rodriguez] was attached to it and his version was fantastic, but it wasn’t a mainstream studio picture. It was kind of his version of what he would shoot at his studio in Texas. He’s got a great set-up down there, and I think part of it is that it may be fun to play with all those big toys at his studio, but he has a pretty good system going.”
That system makes Spy Kids 4.
Back to West, Jetsons seems one of many potential projects he wants to do. Here’s a list of the others [via Movieline]
· Designing more NIKE sneakers, because only one pair of Kanye West shoes every two years isn’t enough
· Starting a new company called DONDA (named after mom) “which will galvanize amazing thinkers and put them in a creative space to bounce there dreams and ideas…to help simplify and aesthetically improve everything we see hear, touch, taste and feel.”
· Creating “a new 7 screen experience”
· Making something called “2016 OLYMPIC’s … It’s a semi sic-fi since 2016 is only 4 years away”
· Designing the MTV Awards
· Changing the education system to omit higher math courses for kids who’ll never need it as adults (That’s what I was saying in fifth grade!)
· Starting an alternative summer school with filmmaker Spike Jonze (“Spike Jonze and I want to do a Summer school that tries new forms of cuuriculim”)
“The Kanye West School for Children Who Can’t Tweet Grammer Good”.
MAKE IT HAPPEN.
Update: Di Novi confirms West wasn’t just making word salad. She tells MTV:
We heard that he knew we were working on the Jetsons,” Di Novi said. “He reached out and said he’s a huge Jetsons fan. There are a lot of Jetsons fanatics out there, especially people that are into either futuristic science or design. He was interested in creatively brainstorming what we were doing with the movie and what ideas he might have. It was a really friendly, preliminary conversation.”