We have a few important updates regarding the next installment in the Underworld franchise. All that we’ve known so far about the upcoming fourth film in the series is that John Hlavin (The Shield) was writing the film, that it would be released on January 20, 2012, and that Kate Beckinsale wasn’t sure if she would return to reprise her role in the series.
Now, we’ve just gotten a press release that confirms that Beckinsale will indeed be returning to the franchise that made her an action star. The press release also tells us that screenwriter J. Michael Straczynsk (The Changeling) has come on board to do some revisions to Hlavin’s script and they’re looking to cast someone as Beckinsale’s daughter. There is still no director attached to the project but Len Wiseman, who directed the first two Underworld films, will be producing the film. Hit the jump for what we were sent:
- Reprising her role as the character Selene, Kate Beckinsale will take the lead in Screen Gems and Lakeshore Entertainment’s fourth installment of the UNDERWORLD franchise.
– The project penned by John Hlavin with revisions with J. Michael Straczynski will be produced by Lakeshore Entertainment’s Tom Rosenberg and Gary Lucchesi, and Len Wiseman. A director is currently being sought out for the project as well as an actress to take the role of Selene’s daughter. Production is set to start in March of 2011 in Vancouver.
– Beckinsale is known for roles in THE AVIATOR, CLICK, NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH, and SNOW ANGELS.
– Straczynski recently penned the screenplay for CHANGELING.
– Hlavin’s writing credits include the television series’ Trust Me and the Golden Globe® winning series The Shield. He will next write the script for the Warner Bros. film THE GUNSLINGER and ALIBI.
– Screen Gems’ Senior Vice President of Production, Scott Strauss will oversee the project for the studio.