One of the many films to premiere at this year’s Sundance Film Festival was director Eli Roth‘s new film Knock Knock. The horror movie stars Keanu Reeves as a married family man whose fantasy affair with two beautiful young women (Lorenza Izzo and Ana de Armas) turns nightmarish (which is not a surprise when you’re in an Eli Roth movie). Roth penned the remake of Peter Traynor‘s 1977 exploitation film Death Game, with with Nicholas Lopez and Guillermo Amoedo.
Shortly after the premiere I landed an exclusive video interview with Keanu Reeves. During the very fun interview he talked about working with Roth and how much crazy shit is in the film, his character and what the movie is about, if he has any directorial efforts lined up to follow Man of Tai Chi, if he’s seen the Constantine TV show, upcoming projects like The Whole Truth and Daughter of God, the success of John Wick, and more.
And for people wondering about the status of the TV series adaptation of Barry Eisler’s John Rain book series Rain, Reeves revealed that Cinemax optioned the series and they’re hard at work writing the pilot. For those unfamiliar with Eisler’s book series, it’s described as a “globe-trotting action drama” that revolves around a half-Japanese, half-American assassin who specializes in making his marks look like they died from natural causes. The first John Rain book, A Clean Kill in Tokyo, was published in 2002 and was followed by six more novels in the series, with another on the way. Assuming the show gets made, it would mark Reeves’ first major starring role in a TV show.
For more on Rain, which John Wick directors Chad Stahelski and David Leitch are helming, check out this interview. But the main thing to know is they’re planning on bringing a level of action to the small screen that’s never been done. I personally can’t wait for this show after seeing what they accomplished on John Wick.
Keanu Reeves Time Index:
- 0:00 – Talking John Wick and how great it was.
- 1:00 – An update on the Rain TV series. Reveals it was picked up by Cinemax.
- 2:33 – On his character in Knock Knock and what the film is about.
- 3:35 – On working with Eli Roth and how much crazy shit is in the film.
- 4:20 – The script was fantastic and he responded to it immediately.
- 5:18 – What project do the people who meet him most want to talk about?
- 6:30 – Talks about upcoming projects like The Whole Truth and Daughter of God.
- 8:32 – Does he have any directorial efforts lined up to follow Man of Tai Chi?
- 10:00 – On how he’s getting back into comedy.
- 10:41 – Has he seen the Constantine TV show?
- 11:06 – Will he go see Point Break Live in LA?
- 11:44 – What was the last gift he bought himself?