With Pixar’s Brave opening this weekend, Disney recently held a press junket in Scotland where I got to interview some of the cast and filmmakers. The film centers on Princess Merida (voiced by Kelly Macdonald), a young girl who accidentally sets loose an evil curse when she wishes for the freedom to escape her restrictive life. But the big news about Brave is that it’s Pixar’s first film with a female protagonist and their first fairy tale. I imagine in won’t be their last. Brave also features the voices of Emma Thompson, Billy Connolly, Kevin McKidd, Craig Ferguson, Robbie Coltrane, and Julie Walters. For more on Brave, here’s all our previous coverage and four clips.
During my interview with Kelly Macdonald, we talked about how the film changed over the course of the its development, what surprised her about the recording process, her reaction to the finished film, what people should do if they visit Scotland, and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch.
Finally, here’s my interviews with director Mark Andrews and producer Katherine Sarafian, Kevin McKidd and John Lasseter.
- How did her friends and family react when she told them she would be the lead voice in a Pixar film
- How has the film changed during the recording process
- What was her reaction to the finished film
- What surprised her the most about the recording process
- When recording her voice did she do every take a bit different
- Was she always recording by herself
- If people were to visit Scotland for one day what does she recommend doing
- What can she say about Boardwalk Empire season 3