Watch: Kevin Smith Talks Up the Weirdness of ‘Yoga Hosers’ and Johnny Depp
With the debut of Kevin Smith’s Tusk in 2014, the filmmaker unknowingly unleashed a new Canada-set film trilogy upon the world. Just like his New Jersey trilogy, this was never the plan. But when a podcast discussion about a serial kidnapper physically transforming his victims into walruses became an actual flesh-and-blood (and special effects) thing, well that setting was too rich to ignore. And one of the film’s biggest advocates was the Oscar-nominated Johnny Depp, who absolutely loved his role of Guy Lapointe.
This year saw the arrival of Smith’s follow-up, Yoga Hosers, which returns Depp’s character to the Frozen North alongside his daughter Lily-Rose Depp and Smith’s daughter Harley Quinn Smith in their battle against an evil presence that’s too big of a surprise to spoil here. Collider Video’s Jon Schnepp sat down with the Smiths at Comic-Con for a lengthy interview about the film, the process behind getting it made, and the future of Smith’s career. For fans of the writer/director, it’s a must-watch.
Watch Schnepp’s video interview with Smith and his daughter above. Here’s a look at what Smith and his daughter had to say:
- Smith calls ‘Yoga Hosers’ a “singular film” and not just “another Bratzi movie.”
- “Say what you will about it, there’s nothing like that movie. It’s very hard to make an original statement anymore. The world is filled with so many storytellers at this point, and that’s great.”
- Harley Quinn talks about her lifelong friendship with Lily-Rose Depp.
- Smith reveals that writing the convenience store scene from Tusk evolved to include his daughter and Lily Rose, in part because they’d never actually have to get a job working at a convenience store. Johnny Depp was cool with his daughter doing the scene alongside Harley Quinn, so the scene was the last thing they filmed.
- Johnny Depp was thrilled with his character from Tusk and it inspired the creation of Yoga Hosers. It also fit into Smith’s desire to make a high school movie.
Smith talks more about Harley Quinn and Lily-Rose’s roles in both the MallBrats series and the Moose Jaws movie.
- Smith reveals that there was never an intention to make a Canadian film trilogy and that he just wanted to make Tusk.
- He also talks about his personality change that came with his success and how Tusk shifted that back to his more independent roots.
- Smith praises Schnepp’s The Death of ‘Superman Lives’: What Happened? and compares the documentary (and its documentarian) to a 70s journalistic investigation of Watergate.
- Harley Quinn talks about preparing for the “weirdness” in Yoga Hosers.
- Smith reveals that Johnny Depp’s moving moles were actually Depp’s idea, along with his makeup artist. It was inspired by Mel Brooks’ humor.
- Smith closes by reacting to the fan vs critic reception of Yoga Hosers and confirms that Moose Jaws is his first foray into full-on parody. The movie will move from comedic takes on Jaws, to Godzilla, to Destroy All Monsters, to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, and closes with Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi.
For more on Yoga Hosers, which opens in theaters September 2nd, be sure to check out some of our recent coverage below:
- ‘Yoga Hosers’: New Trailer Features Bad Accents, Nazis, and Johnny Depp
- ‘Yoga Hosers’ Trailer Reveals Kevin Smith’s Nazi Monster-Filled Comedy Starring Johnny Depp
- ‘Yoga Hosers’ Review: Kevin Smith’s Just Messing with Us Now | Sundance 2016
- Rob Zombie’s ’31’ Headlines 2016 Sundance Film Festival Midnight Lineup