Kick-Ass 2 is indeed finally happening. The first poster banner for the film has popped up on the pic’s official Facebook page, and though it’s not much, it’s a fine tease for fans that have been clamoring for the return of Hit Girl and Co. Aaron Johnson, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, and Chloe Moretz are all confirmed to return and reprise their roles from Matthew Vaughn’s 2010 adaptation of the Mark Millar comic book.
Hit the jump to take a look at the banner and to find out what we know about Kick-Ass 2 so far.
- Jeff Wadlow wrote the script and will direct, with Kick-Ass director Vaughn stepping back to a producer role due to scheduling issues with X-Men: Days of Future Past.
- Johnson, Mintz-Plasse, and Moretz are all set to return, with Nicolas Cage possibly popping up in a cameo role (most likely in flashback form).
- New cast members include John Leguizamo as one of Red Mist’s bodyguards and Donald Faison as Doctor Gravity.
- Production begins in September in Toronto and London, and the film will definitely be rated-R.
- Though Mintz-Plasse’s Red Mist was set up as the villain at the end of Kick-Ass, a recent reported hinted that we might also see the comics villain Mother Russia. The female character is a towering, ex-KGB officer who serves as Red Mist’s bodyguard.
With filming set to begin next month, I’m sure we’ll hear more plot details fairly soon. For now, enjoy this poster banner via the film’s Facebook page which teases a 2013 release date.