Kristen Bell on ‘CHIPS’, ‘Frozen 2’, and ‘The Good Place’
With CHIPS opening this weekend, I recently sat down with Kristen Bell for a wide-ranging video interview. With Bell married to director Dax Shepard, we talked about their working relationship, why he writes away from home, how early on he shares the script, why they tend to cast their friends, if she’s involved in the editing process, her unusual work schedule, and more. In addition, she talked about The Good Place, getting ready to film the second season, the status of Frozen 2 and why Disney isn’t rushing to crank out a sequel, her video game history and her love of the N64, and the Bad Moms sequel.
If you’re not familiar with CHIPS, it’s a feature film adaptation of the TV series of the same name. Dax Shepard wrote, directed, and stars in the action comedy as Jon Baker, who was played by Larry Wilcox in the TV series that ran from 1977 to 1983. He’s joined onscreen by Michael Peña as Frank Llewelyn “Ponch” Poncherello, played by Erik Estrada in the TV show, and the story finds the two partnered up as officers of the California Highway Patrol. Baker is a beaten-up professional motorbiker who’s looking to put his life back together, while Ponch is an undercover Federal agent investigating a heist that may or may not be an inside job. The film also stars Adam Brody, Jessica McNamee, Ryan Hansen, and Vincent D’Onofrio.
Check out what Kristen Bell had to say in the video above and below is a list of what we talked about followed by the CHIPS official synopsis.
How Dax Shepard approaches screenwriting.
- Why he hesitated to cast her as such an unlikable character.
- Getting to play characters who are in romantic relationships with other people.
- Why they tend to cast their friends.
- Her involvement in the editing process.
- Her unusual work schedule.
- When she thought they would get a second season of The Good Place.
- The status of Frozen 2 and why Disney isn’t rushing to crank out a sequel.
- Talks about her gaming history and having a dream in Sonic. Reveals she loved her N64 and Mario Kart. Also how she had to be princess and use the green controller.
- When she first heard about the Bad Moms sequel and when they start filming.
Here’s the official synopsis for CHIPS:
Jon Baker (Shepard) and Frank “Ponch” Poncherello (Peña) have just joined the California Highway Patrol (CHP) in Los Angeles but for very different reasons. Baker is a beaten up pro motorbiker trying to put his life and marriage back together. Poncherello is a cocky undercover Federal agent investigating a multi-million dollar heist that may be an inside job—inside the CHP.
The inexperienced rookie and hardened pro are teamed together, but clash more than click, so kickstarting a partnership is easier said than done. But with Baker’s bike skills combined with Ponch’s street savvy it might just work…if they don’t drive each other crazy along the way.