I’m of the opinion that Gossip Girl truly works because of the depth Leighton Meester gives to her character, Blair. She is hilarious as the quick-witted Queen Bee, but then affectingly vulnerable in other scenes. She brings this same duality to each role she plays, and in particular, elevates what’s would be a standard teenage horror flick into a much more character driven movie, in her latest work, The Roommate.
I had the opportunity to briefly talk with her last Saturday after seeing the film the night before. During the interview we talk about: her personal scariest horror movie, her process of relating to her character, how the director crafted fear through what’s not said, what influences her in choosing roles, and lastly what advantages she sees to filming her television show in New York. The Roommate, co-starring Minka Kelly and Cam Gigandet and directed by Christian Christensen, is in theatres this Friday, February 4th. Hit the jump to watch the interview.
Finally, before getting to the interview, you can watch some clips from The Roommate here.
- 0:20—Remembers the Exorcist scaring her
- 0:53—How she tackled relating to her character
- 1:51—How both the director and Minka Kelly helped her feel comfortable exploring the role
- 2:45—how each movie she chooses is a case by case decision
- 3:28—how New York is a character in Gossip Girl