Back when James Mangold‘s Logan was just starting its marketing blitz, a handful of beautifully shot, black-and-white stills emerged. These images showed off an aging Logan (played by the ageless Hugh Jackman), as well as the film’s shadowy miscreant, Dr. Rice (Richard E. Grant). They were so impressive, in fact, that they had us wondering whether or not the final film would be presented in a black-and-white format, either in part, like flashback sequences, or in its entirety.
While a black-and-white theatrical version was not to be (not that it takes anything away from the masterful mutant movie that wholly embraces its Western aesthetic), Mangold appears to be working on a black-and-white cut of the film, possibly for its eventual home video release. Don’t get too excited just yet! Mangold himself may have confirmed the fact that he’s working on this version, but no other details are available at the moment and nothing is certain. But we can always hope!
Also starring Patrick Stewart, Stephen Merchant, Dafne Keen, Boyd Holbrook, Elizabeth Rodriguez, Eriq La Salle, Elise Neal, and Quincy Fouse, Logan opens March 3rd. Definitely carve some time out of your schedule to see it!
Check out the Twitter exchange below (via ScreenCrush):
Check out some of the cinematic black-and-white images from Logan previously released below:
And for more on Logan, be sure to check out our recent write-ups:
- ‘Logan’ Review: Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine Goes out on a Brutal and Moving High Note
- ‘Logan’: Details for Standby Tickets for Our Los Angeles Screening Tonight
- James Mangold on How He Can’t Believe He Got Away with Making ‘Logan’
- Collider Crash Course: The History of Wolverine Explained
- Patrick Stewart Confirms He’s Done Playing Professor X After ‘Logan’