The line-up for 2012’s Los Angeles Film Festival has been announced and, as expected, Woody Allen’s To Rome With Love will kick things off. LAFF 2012 will also feature the world premiere of Steven Soderbergh’s Magic Mike to close out the festivities. Between those two screenings, the world premiere of Dreamworks Pictures’ People Like Us will also be featured, along with screenings of Lorene Scafaria’s Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, Ava DuVernay’s Middle of Nowhere and Benh Zeitlin’s Beasts of the Southern Wild. The festival runs from June 14th to the 24th at L.A. LIVE in downtown Los Angeles for its 18th annual showing. Hit the jump to see more of what you can expect from the eclectic mix of films at the 2012 Los Angeles Film Festival.
Narrative Competition (10): The Narrative Competition is comprised of films made by talented emerging filmmakers that compete for the Filmmaker Award. The winner is determined by a panel of jurors, and films in this section are also eligible for the Audience Award for Best Narrative Feature or Best International Feature.
- All Is Well, Pocas Pascoal – Portugal – NORTH AMERICAN PREMIERE
- Breakfast with Curtis, Laura Colella – WORLD PREMIERE
- The Compass is Carried by the Dead Man, Arturo Pons – Mexico – NORTH AMERICAN PREMIERE
- Crazy and Thief, Cory McAbee – NORTH PREMIERE
- Dead Man’s Burden, Jared Moshé – WORLD PREMIERE
- Four, Joshua Sanchez – WORLD PREMIERE
- A Night Too Young, Olmo Omerzu – Czech Republic – NORTH AMERICAN PREMIERE
- Pincus, David Fenster – WORLD PREMIERE
- Red Flag, Alex Karpovsky – WORLD PREMIERE
- Thursday till Sunday, Dominga Sotomayor – Chile – NORTH AMERICAN PREMIERE
As part of the Los Angeles Film Festival’s free outdoor programming, there will be a Dirty Dancing Dance-A-Long at California Plaza on June 22 at 7pm to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the film. Produced in cooperation with Dance Camera West and Grand Performances, there will be free salsa lessons by Contra-Tiempo, a screening of the film with special guests and a shadow cast consisting of performers from local dance companies to dance on stage below the screening during key scenes.
And there’s nothing like ending the fun with a world premiere:
The Festival will end its festivities with the World Premiere of Warner Bros. Pictures’ Magic Mike, directed by Steven Soderbergh, written by Reid Carolin and starring Channing Tatum, Alex Pettyfer, Matthew McConaughey, Cody Horn, Olivia Munn, Matt Bomer, Riley Keough, Joe Manganiello, Kevin Nash, Adam Rodriguez and Gabriel Iglesias. Set in the world of male strippers, the dramatic comedy follows Mike (Tatum) as he takes a young dancer called The Kid (Pettyfer) under his wing and schools him in the fine arts of partying, picking up women, and making easy money. Warner Bros. Pictures will release the film nationwide on June 29, 2012.