Opening this weekend is The Help director Tate Taylor’s The Girl on the Train. Based on the Paula Hawkins novel of the same name, which has the distinction of being the fastest-selling adult novel in history, the film follows the story of Rachel (Emily Blunt), a lonely, alcoholic divorcee who uses her daily commute to fantasize about the seemingly perfect life of the couple—whom she dubs “Jason and Jess” (Luke Evans and Hayley Bennett)—she glimpses every day when the train stops at the signal. One day, however, she sees something shocking during the train’s routine stop, and subsequently becomes entangled in a web of intrigue involving a missing woman. Scripted by Erin Cressida Wilson (Secretary), the film also stars Allison Janney, Rebecca Ferguson, Justin Theroux, Edgar Ramirez, and Lisa Kudrow.
Last week in New York City I sat down with Luke Evans for a wide-ranging interview. We talked about how he got involved in The Girl on the Train, the way he likes to work, when was the last time he had to audition for a role, how excited he is for people to see Bill Condon’s Beauty and the Beast, the craziest thing he’s seen another actor do on set, how he has to be off page prior to the start of filming, if he might appear in any of the upcoming Universal monster movies, and a lot more.
Check out what he had to say in the player above and below you is a list of what we talked about.
- How did he get involved in Girl on the Train?
- When was the last time he had to audition for a role?
- When did he first hear about The Girl on the Train?
- Any big changes from the book?
- What was it like on set while filming?
- How much have people wanted to talk to him about Beauty and the Beast?
- How Bill Condon is a perfect choice for Beauty.
- Does he like to do a lot of takes?
- Talks about the rehearsal process.
- How does he like to work on set and what’s the craziest thing he’s seen another actor do?
- Talks about how he has to be off page prior to the start of filming.
- Any talk of appearing in the future Universal monster movies?