Tom Hardy Says MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Starts Filming April 2012

     August 19, 2011

Tom Hardy Mad Max Fury Road slice

George Miller’s Mad Max follow-up Fury Road has had a bit of a storied history. The film was originally set to start production in August 2010 with stars Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron, but after massive sets had been built and intense pre-production work was underway, torrential rains flooded the Australian desert that was set to be the film’s backdrop for the duration of the shoot.

Flash forward to this past March, when Miller gave an update on the project saying that they would restart pre-production later this year and commence filming early next year, with the film fully funded and ready to go. Now we have a solid start date, as Hardy revealed to Steve at today’s Warrior press day that the film will begin production next April. He said:

“we’re going to have to find somewhere else to shoot it, but it looks like it’s going in April.”

Hit the jump for more on Mad Max: Fury Road.

Tom-Hardy-image (6)While Hardy wasn’t exactly a huge star when he was first cast in Fury Road, it’s safe to say that he’s going to be a ginormous draw for audiences when the film eventually hits theaters. Warrior is picking up some great buzz, and he’s currently filming his role as Bane in Christopher Nolan’s indie drama The Dark Knight Rises.

On the Fury Road front, all seems to be going according to plan. Miller went ahead and made Happy Feet Two following the delay in production, and last we heard Theron was still attached to the project. Nicholas Hoult (X-Men: First Class) and Riley Kileough, who was just cast in Steven Soderbergh’s Magic Mike, were also said to be starring in the film, but their current status is unknown at this point.

Fury Road will be a relaunch of the Mad Max franchise that rocketed Mel Gibson to stardom in 1979. The story takes place in a dystopian future, and Miller has been hard at work designing new vehicles and such for the update.

Watch Now
Around The Web

Latest News