Here’s a look at the latest new release dates:
- Hitman: Agent 47 – Aleksander Bach’s Hitman sequel starring Rupert Friend and Zachary Quinto is set to open February 27, 2015.
- Captain Underpants – Rob Letterman’s adaptation featuring the voices of Ed Helms, Kevin Hart, Nick Kroll, Jordan Peele, and Thomas Middleditch will open January 13, 2017.
- The Croods 2 – The first film featured the voices of Emma Stone, Nicolas Cage, Ryan Reynolds, Catherine Keener, Cloris Leachman, and Clark Duke, who might all return for the sequel opening November 3, 2017.
- Madagascar 4 - The fourth installment in the animated animal sequel featuring the voices of Chris Rock, Ben Stiller, Jada Pinkett Smith, David Schwimmer, Sacha Baron Cohen, and Cedric the Entertainer opens May 18, 2018.
- Puss in Boots 2: Nine Lives & 40 Thieves - The sequel to Chris Miller’s animated adventure comedy that featured the voices of Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek, and Zach Galifianakis opens November 2, 2018.
Hit the jump for more on each film.
As Exhibitor Relations reports, DreamWorks Animation has released their upcoming slate of films for the 2017 and 2018 calendar years. It’s heavy on sequels (which is to be expected these days) though two of the three films are only putting forth a second effort. The Croods performed well both domestically and abroad, bringing in nearly $600 million worldwide. Puss in Boots turned in similar numbers in its 2011 release, earning just north of $550 million. Madagascar remains one of the studio’s most lucrative franchises, earning $500 million, then $600 million, then $750 million in each of its three previous releases, not to mention the upcoming spin-off The Penguins of Madagascar, which opens November 26th of this year. Perhaps Madagascar 4 will cross that magical billion-dollar barrier in 2018.
The lone live-action release date in this batch is the Hitman sequel, which sees Friend starring as the title character, Agent 47, with Quinto and Thomas Kretschmann taking on villainous roles. Ciaran Hinds also stars in an undisclosed role that’s described as pivotal and has a scientific emphasis.