If one were to take a poll of the most anticipated film of 2013, director Zack Snyder’s Superman reboot Man of Steel would likely find itself towards the very top. It’s been seven years since the character was last seen onscreen, and Warner Bros. is hoping that Man of Steel kicks off a new franchise for the studio following the conclusion of the Harry Potter series and Christopher Nolan‘s Batman trilogy. We’ve already seen a couple of trailers for the film, but the majority of the pic is still being kept tightly under wraps; Snyder only just recently confirmed that Michael Shannon is playing General Zod.
With the pic’s June release date looming, Warner Bros. recently got its first look at the full film by way of some early private studio screenings. Reactions to those screenings appear to be highly positive, as a recent report sheds some light on what fans can expect from the pic. Hit the jump to read on.
The folks over at JoBlo have a source that sent them some bullet point reactions from the early screenings at WB:
- Imagine a Nolan story with Snyder effects/action.
- It’s the best movie of the year.
- There’s TONS of action with Superman kicking all kinds of ass in his suit.
- The cape is CG’d most of the time so it can look awesome.
- They have intentionally left out most of the the Super action in trailers to save it.
- It’s not nearly as dour and serious as the trailers suggest.
- The movie is complete, minus the 3D post-conversion, which is currently taking place
To say it’s premature to call Man of Steel “the best film of the year” is a massive understatement, but it’s clear that the screening went over well. Fans worried that we’re in for another romantic drama a la Superman Returns should be pleased, and I’m all for WB keeping the action-y bits under the hood until the film hits theaters; audiences are going to turn out for this movie no matter what, and I’d really enjoy not having half the film released online by way of trailers, TV spots, clips, etc. months before it even opens. It’s also reassuring to hear that there’s some fun to be had despite the super serious nature of the trailers.
I imagine we’ll start to see much more from the film in the next few months as the release date looms closer, but for fans waiting with bated breath to see if Snyder pulls this thing off, hopefully these early screening reactions serve as a tiny bit of reassurance. Man of Steel opens in 3D on June 14th.
Click here to catch up on all of our Man of Steel coverage, or peruse the links below:
- Toy Fair 2013: MAN OF STEEL Figures for Superman, Jor-El, General Zod, and Faora
- New Black-and-White Image of Amy Adams as Lois Lane in MAN OF STEEL
- JUSTICE LEAGUE Greenlight Depending on MAN OF STEEL’S Box Office Success
- David S. Goyer Says He Wrote MAN OF STEEL “As If It Were Real,” Not a Lowly Comic Book Movie
- MAN OF STEEL Graces the Cover of Empire Magazine’s Summer Preview Issue
- MAN OF STEEL Gets PG-13 Rating for “Intense Sci-Fi Violence, Action and Destruction”
- MAN OF STEEL Star Russell Crowe Reveals Details on Krypton and Calls Zack Snyder’s Version “Complicated and Complex” with a “Super Sonic” Superman