While we all waited a long, long time to see the first footage from Man of Steel (especially given that the film started production in the fall of 2011), as the release date looms closer we’re starting to learn much more about Zack Snyder’s new take on Superman. The director recently addressed the backlash he received when it was first announced that he would be directing the new Superman movie, and now a new interview has surfaced in which Snyder talks more specifically about how he approached the “Superman flying” scenes and creating the planet of Krypton. In addition, he spoke about about the first time he saw Henry Cavill in the suit. Hit the jump to read on.
“It’s a more violent experience. It’s raw. It takes effort to do it, and that’s what we were really going for. It’s almost like there’s this kind of Right Stuff quality to it. He’s constantly booming around, accelerating. You think he’s going as fast as he can and then it’s like ‘Yeeaahh!’ He’s always got an extra gear he can use.”
We got quite a few good looks at the planet of Krypton in the most recent Man of Steel trailer, and the filmmaker spoke about his design for Superman’s home world:
“I really wanted my Krypton to be this kind of special place that’s immersive and totally different from Earth, but not unbelievable. And ancient. I really wanted to give this ancient feeling to Krypton. I love technology that’s rusty because it’s so old. It’s so advanced, but it’s so old. That was the kind of world that I tried to create. A dying world that’s ancient and torn apart.”
“God, he’s so Supermanish it’s crazy! There was a telling moment – we put him in the Christopher Reeve costume, because we didn’t have a suit yet, we just had the old spandex suit. He stepped out of the trailer and no one laughed. It’s the difference between being Superman and dressing up like Superman. If I’m dressed up like Superman it’s like a Halloween costume. If you’re Henry it’s your clothes. It’s awesome. Watch the movie and you’re like ‘Holy shit, that’s Superman.’ And it’s not weird or crazy, it’s just cool.”
Cavill does look great in the finished version of the costume, but we’ve yet to see much of his actual performance in the film’s trailers. All will be revealed soon enough, though, as Man of Steel hits theaters on June 14th.
Click here to catch up on all of our previous coverage, or peruse the links below.
- See MAN OF STEEL Early with Advanced Tickets from Walmart
- New MAN OF STEEL Image Shows Off Henry Cavill in Full Superman Costume
- LexCorp Tower Spotted in New Trailer for MAN OF STEEL
- New Trailer for Zack Snyder’s MAN OF STEEL
- MAN OF STEEL Images Featuring Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Antje Traue, and More
- General Zod Issues a Warning to Earth and Superman in New MAN OF STEEL Viral Video
- MAN OF STEEL to Open Door for Other DC Characters; Christopher Nolan NOT Involved with JUSTICE LEAGUE
- EW Unveils MAN OF STEEL Cover; New Plot Details Revealed
- Legendary Pictures CEO Thomas Tull Says MAN OF STEEL Is “The Superman Movie I’ve Always Wanted to See
- First TV Spot for MAN OF STEEL
- New Trailer for Zack Snyder’s MAN OF STEEL Starring Henry Cavill
- WonderCon: MAN OF STEEL Action Figure Images Featuring Superman, Jor-El, Zod, and Faora
- Screenwriter David S. Goyer Talks About How He Got Involved with MAN OF STEEL and His Reaction to Seeing the Finished Film
- Zack Snyder Calls His Superman “More Relatable, More Human”
- Early Screening Buzz for MAN OF STEEL Highly Positive; Teases “Tons of Action” and All-CG Cape