Easily one of the best kids’ game shows of the 1990s and arguably one of the best game shows in the history of television, Nickelodeon’s Double Dare will be making a return of sorts for the show’s 30th anniversary this year. The network’s nostalgia-focused programming block The Splat will be bringing Marc Summers out of a 16-year retirement to host another run of the game show to celebrate this fact at the upcoming San Diego Comic-Con. If you can’t attend, don’t worry; the event will be live-streamed over Facebook Live on Friday, July 22nd at 9:30pm PT.
Just like the classic, halcyon days of the 80s and 90s, this version of Double Dare will once again feature the Red Team squaring off against the Blue Team in a competition featuring trivia questions and physical challenges. The live-streamed event will also see the return of such wacky, Gak-y contraptions such as the Wringer, Down the Hatch, the Human Hamster Wheel, and the infamous Double Dare Nose. Behind-the-scenes photos and a special Q&A with Summers will be available throughout the night to folks following along on social media platforms like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and Snapchat (@thesplatchat).
But there’s more to the event than just the live-streamed centerpiece; The Splat will also launch Double Dare week, hosted by Summers, starting Monday, July 25th at 10pm on TeenNick. Folks in attendance at Comic-Con will also get a chance to meet Summers during a signing/photo session at Nickelodeon’s booth on the convention floor.
And that’s not all! Nickelodeon’s Comic-Con presence will also include appearances by Legends of the Hidden Temple, Hey Arnold!, Rugrats, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, CatDog, Rocko’s Modern Life, Invader Zim, and more. Here’s what booth-keeper King Olmec had to say about the upcoming event:
“Those who dare to pass through the sacred gates of Comic-Con will enter a world of nostalgic treasures, artifacts and trivia from Nickelodeon‘s beloved ’90s archives. The choice to enter is yours and yours alone, loyal fans.”
Every day will include the opportunity to experience: “a virtual reality 360-experience where fans can step into the world of the upcoming Legends of the Hidden Temple live-action TV movie; an interactive trivia game featuring Legends of the Hidden Temple’s King Olmec, Keeper of the Temple; photo opps with a life-size replica of the Hey Arnold! stoop and the nose from Double Dare; a retail area, where attendees can purchase a variety of exclusive Nick, The Splat and ‘90s-themed gear and one-of-a-kind collectibles; costumed character appearances; and autograph signings with cast member from All That, SpongeBob SquarePants’ Tom Kenny, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles voice talent, Kirk Fogg from Legends of the Hidden Temple, and more special appearances to be announced in the coming weeks.”
Here’s a look at all of Nickelodeon and The Splat’s scheduled events:
Happy Happy! Joy Joy!: 25 Years of Nickelodeon Original Animation
Thursday, July 21, 11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. (Room: 6A) – For 25 years Nickelodeon has produced some of the most innovative and memorable animation in the history of television. Nick Animation Podcast host Hector Navarro finds out how and why four of the network’s most influential creators did what they did: Craig Bartlett (Hey Arnold!), Jhonen Vasquez (Invader Zim), Butch Hartman (The Fairly OddParents, Danny Phantom) and Arlene Klasky, who along with Gabor Csupo and Paul Germain, created Rugrats. Don’t miss the chance to see production art from the upcoming TV movie Hey Arnold!: The Jungle Movie; animation from Hartman’s newBunsen is a Beast!; and the world premiere of Don vs Raph, a TMNT animated short written and produced by Jhonen Vasquez.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles–Return to New York
Friday, July 22, 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m. (Room: 6A) – They travelled time and space to save planet Earth, and now the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles return home! Executive producers Ciro Nieli and Brandon Auman share sneak peeks of the epic adventures and new characters that await the Turtles when they return to the streets of NY in season four. On hand will be the extraordinary voice actors of the TMNT world: Rob Paulsen (Donatello),Greg Cipes (Michelangelo), Gwendoline Yeo (Shinigami) and Eric Bauza (Tiger Claw). Also, witness the world premiere of two never-before-seen TMNT animated shorts presented by TMNT co-creator, Kevin Eastman. The panel will be moderated by Andre Meadows (Black Nerd Comedy).
She Made That?: Nickelodeon hosts Women in Animation
Friday, July 22, 6:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m. (Room: 24ABC) – Join this group of innovative and pioneering female cartoon creators for a discussion on their careers and the opportunities for women in animation today. Panelists include women responsible for the original Nicktoons from the 1990s and others who are making some of today’s best animation for TV and the web. The panel will include Lauren Faust (My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic), Mary Harrington (Invader Zim, Hey Arnold!), Vanessa Coffey (The Ren & Stimpy Show, Rugrats), Rikke Asbjoern (Pinky Malinky), Margaret Dean (Women in Animation) and Maija Burnett (California Institute of the Arts).
Back to the ‘90s: Nickelodeon’s All That Reunion and Legends of the Hidden Temple!
Saturday, July 23, 11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. (Room: 6A) – Join Nickelodeon’s throwback programming block, The Splat, for a reunion of the trailblazing sketch comedy series’ major players, Josh Server, Danny Tamberelli, Lori Beth Denberg and Kel Mitchell, discussing all things All That, with a few added surprises. Plus, get the first look at Nick’s new TV movie based on Legends of the Hidden Temple and hear about it from returning cast members Kirk Fogg and Dee Bradley Baker, along with Isabela Moner (Transformers 5). The panel will be moderated by Entertainment Weekly staff writer, Marc Snetiker.
DAILY BOOTH ACTIVITY
- Legends of the Hidden Temple Virtual Reality 360-Degree Experience: This 360-degree experience transports fans into the world of the upcoming action-adventure TV movie inspired by the iconic game show, allowing them to experience the mysterious Mayan temple first-hand.
- Olmec Photo Opp/Trivia: Fans can interact with Legends of the Hidden Temple’s King Olmec and test their knowledge by answering trivia questions for the opportunity to win prizes.
- Hey Arnold! Stoop and Double Dare Nose Photo Opps: Fans can take photos on a replica of Arnold’s stoop from Hey Arnold! and with the nose from Double Dare (beware of boogers).
- Autograph Signings: Signing opportunities with Nickelodeon talent include: All That cast; Legends of the Hidden Temple cast; SpongeBob SquarePants voice talent; Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles voice talent and executive producers; Nick current series creators and executive producers (C.H. Greenblatt, Harvey Beaks; Chris Savino,The Loud House; and Dave Cooper, Johnny Ryan, and David Sacks, Pig Goat Banana Cricket); and Nick original animation creators (Butch Hartman, The Fairly OddParents and Bunsen is a Beast!; Craig Bartlett, Hey Arnold!; Arlene Klasky, Rugrats, Wild Thornberrys, Rocket Power; and Jhonen Vasquez, Invader Zim).
- Costumed-Character Appearances: The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Rugrats, SpongeBob SquarePants, The Fairly OddParents, Arnold and Saban’s Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Power Rangers Dino Super Charge will make appearances at Nick’s booth at select times during the convention.
- Retail: Attendees can purchase Comic-Con exclusive figures, t-shirts and more.
- Giveaways: Enter for a chance to win special prizes over the course of the convention.