When Marvel Studios announced their Phase 3 lineup, Inhumans was scheduled as one of the new franchise starters (along with Captain Marvel) that would drop between the event film sandwich that is the two-part Avengers: Infinity War. But, a lot has changed since 2014. First, the inter-studio standalone Spider-Man reboot was added to the line-up, then Captain Marvel shuffled up by a couple months and Inhumans was bumped back in lieu of Ant-Man and The Wasp. Immediately after, a rumor surfaced that Marvel Studios planned to scrap the Inhumans movie entirely since the storyline was already being explored on TV side with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..
While talking to MCU chief Kevin Feige for Captain America: Civil War, I took the opportunity to seek some clarity on the status of Inhumans, and while those cancellation rumors aren’t exactly on the mark, you shouldn’t expect Inhumans to arrive in 2019.
Since we made our initial phase three announcement, we added Spider-Man, which was a big joyous coup for us. We added Ant-Man and the Wasp, which was a big fun continuation of that story for us. Walt Disney Company has announced an Indiana Jones film for right around that same time. So I think it will shuffle off the current date that it’s on right now. How far down it shuffles, I’m not sure yet.
But it’s not a matter of “they’re already doing that on TV, we’re not doing it?”
No, It’s a question of when.
While that certainly sounds like confirmation that Inhumans is still on the agenda, it’s a very noncomittal answer as to when the film might arrive. For now, check out Marvel’s official upcoming release slate (which still includes Inhumans, for now), and see all the upcoming movie release dates here.
- Captain America: Civil War – May 6, 2016
- Doctor Strange – November 4, 2016
- Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 – May 5, 2017
- Untitled Spider-Man Reboot – July 7, 2017
- Thor: Ragnarok – November 3, 2017
- Black Panther – February 16, 2018
- Avengers: Infinity War – Part 1 – May 4, 2018
- Ant-Man and the Wasp – July 6, 2018
- Captain Marvel – March 6, 2018
- Avengers: Infinity War – Part 2 – May 3, 2019
- Inhumans – July 12, 2019
For more Marvel news:
- ‘Captain America: Civil War’ Screenwriters Reveal a Superhero Who Almost Made the Cut
- ‘Black Panther': Kevin Feige Reveals Ryan Coogler Is Co-Writing; Talks Filming Dates
- ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Screenwriters Offer Script Update
- Yes, Marvel Characters Will Cameo in the ‘Spider-Man’ Movie