It’s been just two weeks since Warner Bros. unveiled its DC Movie lineup, but Marvel is already stealing back the spotlight with an enormous slate of its own. Here’s the overview of Phase 3:
- Captain America: Civil War will hit theaters on May 6, 2016.
- Doctor Strange will arrive on November 4, 2016.
- Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is due on May 5, 2017.
- Thor: Ragnarok hits theaters on July 28, 2017.
- Black Panther arrives on November 3, 2017 starring Chadwick Boseman.
- Captain Marvel will be released on July 6, 2018.
- Inhumans is coming on November 2, 2018.
- Avengers: Infinity War - Part I arrives on May 4, 2018 followed by Part II on May 3, 2019.
All movies will be released in 3D. Hit the jump for more on the big announcement.
Warner Bros. and DC have a solid lineup, but Marvel might have just one-upped them with a slate loaded with proven and beloved properties as well as some new characters fans have been hoping to see on the big screen.
First on the list is the third installment of the Captain America series, now officially titled Captain America: Civil War, confirming recent reports that directors Joe and Anthony Russo will be running with the “Civil War” storyline in the new film. After that we’ll get to see what Benedict Cumberbatch can bring to the MCU in Doctor Strange. Director Scott Derrickson will have a film that will presumably “open up a whole new world for the cinematic universe” ready for us on November 4, 2016.
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will follow that one up on May 5, 2017 after which the third Thor film, Thor: Ragnarok, will make its way into theaters on July 28, 2017. According to Ragnarok’s Marvel.com description, Tony Stark used a sample of Thor’s hair to create a clone – Ragnarok. That clone then fights alongside those who are pro-Superhuman Registration Act.
After that, Marvel announced the Black Panther movie for November 3, 2017. On top of that, it was also revealed that Get On Up‘s Chadwick Boseman will be our T’Challa. After that, the studio confirmed another rumor that’s been circulating for quite a while now; we’re getting a Carol Danvers Captain Marvel movie on July 6, 2018. Apparently, “This is the time to bring out Captain Marvel.”
We told you that Marvel was making plans for an Inhumans movie back in August and now it’s confirmed; Inhumans (not The Inhumans) will arrive on November 2, 2018.
As if all of that isn’t enough, Marvel decided to wrap up the presentation by dropping this glorious bomb; we’re not getting Avengers 3, but rather Avengers: Infinity War – Part I and Avengers: Infinity War – Part II on May 4, 2018 and May 3, 2019, respectively. How’s that for an Avengers: Age of Ultron teaser trailer follow-up?
Here’s the official press release from Marvel:
AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON will be in 3D (previously announced 5/1/15 wide playdate is unchanged)
ANT-MAN will be in 3D (previously announced 7/17/15 wide playdate is unchanged)
CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR is final title of previous “Captain America 3” and will be in 3D (previously announced 5/6/16 wide playdate is unchanged)
DOCTOR STRANGE is final title of previous “7/8/16 Marvel Untitled” and moves to 11/4/16 wide in 3D (previously announced “7/8/16 Marvel Untitled” wide playdate is OUT)
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 moves to 5/5/17 wide and will be in 3D (from 7/28/17 wide, replaces previous “5/5/17 Marvel Untitled”)
THOR: RAGNOROK now dated on 7/28/17 wide in 3D (replaces previous GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 on 7/28/17)
BLACK PANTHER now dated on 11/3/17 wide in 3D (previously “11/3/17 Marvel Untitled”)
AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR PART I is final title of previous “5/4/18 Marvel Untitled” and will be in 3D
CAPTAIN MARVEL now dated on 7/6/18 wide in 3D (previously “7/6/18 Marvel Untitled”)
INHUMANS now dated on 11/2/18 wide in 3D (previously “11/2/18 Marvel Untitled”)
AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR PART II is final title of previous “5/3/19 Marvel Untitled” and will be in 3D
Catch up on our coverage of all of Marvel’s announcements below:
- 42 Star Chadwick Boseman to Star in BLACK PANTHER; First Look at the Costume Revealed
- Two-Part AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR Announced for May 2018 and May 2019
- THOR: RAGNAROK Set for Release on July 28, 2017; Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston Returning
- Kevin Feige Talks Details on CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR, BLACK PANTHER, CAPTAIN MARVEL, INHUMANS, and More
- CAPTAIN MARVEL Movie Set for a July 6, 2018 Release
- Watch Thanos Flaunt His Infinity Gauntlet in Footage from the AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR Announcement; Film Is the “Culmination” of the MCU
- Check Out Images from Today’s Marvel Event Featuring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, and Chadwick Boseman