Justin Kurzel’s Ubisoft video game adaptation Assassin’s Creed isn’t scheduled to open in theaters until December 21st of this year, but as of today, the production has wrapped. While the principal photography is now in the can, the 20th Century Fox release will now enter into months and months of post-production work, eventual press tours to hype up the publicity, and hopefully lots and lots of new looks at the film.
Video game adaptations have been one of the most difficult cinematic sub-genres to get right, but with actors like Michael Fassbender shouldering the main role, 2016 looks to be the year to turn that trend around. It’s too early to tell whether Assassin’s Creed’s high-diving ambition will land the film safely in a hay-filled wagon, or whether it will smash into the ground amidst the broken promises of past video game adaptations. Personally, my fingers are emphatically crossed that it turns out to be the former.
Assassin’s Creed also stars Marion Cotillard, Brendan Gleeson, Jeremy Irons, Michael Kenneth Williams, and Brian Gleeson. Check out the set photo from the production wrap below, courtesy of Assassin’s Creed Head of Content, Azaïzia Aymar:
— Azaïzia Aymar (@AymarMtl) January 15, 2016
Here’s the film’s official synopsis:
Through a revolutionary technology that unlocks his genetic memories, Callum Lynch (Michael Fassbender) experiences the adventures of his ancestor, Aguilar, in 15th Century Spain. Callum discovers he is descended from a mysterious secret society, the Assassins, and amasses incredible knowledge and skills to take on the oppressive and powerful Templar organization in the present day.
For more on Assassin’s Creed, check out some of our recent coverage provided at the following links:
- ‘Assassin’s Creed’: See Michael Fassbender’s Past and Present in New Images
- ‘Assassin’s Creed’: Michael Fassbender Dons the Hood in New Image
- ‘Assassin’s Creed’ Viral Marketing Amps Up; Trailer Debut Date Possibly Revealed
- ‘Assassin’s Creed’ Set Photos Show Off Some Badass Weapons
- New ‘Assassin’s Creed’ Set Photo Features Michael Fassbender and Neck Pain
- Ubisoft Is Modeling the ‘Assassin’s Creed’ Movie After Blade Runner and Batman Begins